zone valve/ bolier control help - no heat

Old 01-24-08, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zone valve/ bolier control help - no heat

Greetings! I have problems with heat upstairs. We have two zones one for the lower level and one for upstairs. The upper level zone has had some problems in the past few days. We have hot water baseboards with a Weil-MCLain furnace CGi GOLD and boiler controller model 1107-1. When heat is called for, the red light which indicates this (TSTAT/CIRC LED) doesn't go on, the burner/pump don't come on. Everything works fine for the lower level. When I open the upper level zone valve manually, the TSTAT/CIRC LED goes on and the furnace lights up the pump turns on and we get heat. After leaving it in this manual state for about half hour, I go back to the auto mode on the valve, then everything works. The problem repeats the next morning around 4 AM, which is when the thermostat demands heat. This went on for a few two days, but today, this magic fix of leaving the valve open manually for sometime doesnt help. I am now keeping the heat downstairs on, even though we dont need it, to make the furnace work and thus get heat upstairs. If anyone can help figure out what the problem is, I will be grateful. The zone valve needs replacement? or just the zone valve head? or is there something else wrong? Thanks!

Last edited by tk_diy; 01-24-08 at 03:32 PM. Reason: for accuracy
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 04:43 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Change batteries in thermostat first ...

Old 01-24-08, 09:42 PM
new batteries dont seem to help

NJTROOPER, Thanks for your prompt reply. I installed new batteries and tested by increasing the requested temperature to higher than current and the TSTAT/CIRC LED doesnt come on. Pushing the valve to open doesnt bring this LED on either.
What do you suggest I try next? Thanks a lot.

Old 01-25-08, 01:55 PM
still no heat upstairs

The situation has gotten worse, the fix of switching the valve manually to open only turns on the TSTAT/CIRC LED sometimes. When I move the lever on the valve to open, it feels too light - it doesnt feel like it engages something inside which it used to before - I dont know how this valve works but it used to be harder to move. The fix still works sometimes, though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-25-08, 04:17 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, ruled out the t'stat ... I didn't think the battery change would help, but just in case ...

It sounds like a zone valve problem to me.

What type are they ?

If they are both the same, and of the type that the power head can be changed without draining (probably are), you can swap the two valve heads and see if the problem follows the head. My guess is that it will.

Or, just put a new power head on there...

Old 01-25-08, 05:55 PM
Taco 571-2

NJ Trooper: thanks again. They are Taco 571-2, same for the two zones. I can twist the head out, I will first try exchanging the heads to see if it helps and let you know what happens.
They are very hot, can't hold them longer than a couple of seconds. Is that normal?

Old 01-27-08, 06:34 PM
zone valve heads exchanged - problem moves

Hello NJTROOPER, I exchanged the heads. I first physically moved the heads keeping theromstat connections same - so the lower level tstat controlled the upper zone valve and vice versa, just to see if the head was not able to operate the valve for the upper level. The problem moved to lower level, i.e with the head. Then I switched the tstat connections. I now have controlled heat for the upper level and the lower level only works with the valve manually open. This means the head is to be blamed. Is there a way to service it, lubricate or something or should it be replaced?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-08, 06:57 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
My only experience with electric zone valves was more than thirty years ago. What I found was those valves that used a "heat motor" were unreliable and often failed. The units that had synchronous motors and did not positively shut off the water flow (they restricted it to almost nothing) were quite reliable.

Old 01-27-08, 07:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Power Head

Those power heads are available at many home centers or nearly any plumbing supply house. There are no user serviceable parts.