boiler output

Old 01-31-08, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry boiler output

I have a older a-3 american standard boiler I-b J-1 seriesthat is rated at 136 mbh output/ 102 mbh. I've had a gas well drilled
on my property and want to change over from oil to gas.
What is mbh ??? and how do I convert this to btu's , so I know what size boiler to look for? My family has been in plumbing &
hot water heating for 96 years and installed this boiler years before came into the biz. HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-08, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by pipedoctor View Post
I have a older a-3 american standard boiler I-b J-1 seriesthat is rated at 136 mbh output/ 102 mbh. I've had a gas well drilled
on my property and want to change over from oil to gas.
What is mbh ??? and how do I convert this to btu's , so I know what size boiler to look for? My family has been in plumbing &
hot water heating for 96 years and installed this boiler years before came into the biz. HELP!!!
Just go to this MBH to Btus (IT)/Hour Conversion Calculator

Old 01-31-08, 10:19 PM
btu's

mbh thousands of btu's per hour as far as conversion goes you should be able to change the valves and orifices and make sure the venting is right

Old 02-01-08, 03:53 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Be careful taking on this project as most boiler will not have a warranty. Gas boilers are designed with a certain btu content in mind, specific gravity and chemical make-up. This information is not known with your well. Natural gas goes through a manufacturing process to meet certain standards. You may be over firing or under firing the product. By code a boiler can only be under fired by 4% and never over fired. There have been situations where some other chemicals have been found in the gas, which caused the iron to flake off, and boiler leaks in a relatively short period of time.
I would have it tested for chemical make-up and btu content before being used.

Old 02-01-08, 07:07 AM
If you need to find a boiler to replace your old one I would recommend looking at http://houseneeds.com/shop/atop/boilerindexpage.asp they have a great selection for whatever application you might need and a helpful and knowledgeable sales team to make sure you get the right one. I hope this helps.