Rusty Water in boiler.

Old 02-08-08, 06:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rusty Water in boiler.

The water in my 10+ year old Peerless HWBB system is very rusty. I know this because the domestic water coil gasket leaked and the puddle was filled with rust. It comes up from my well which has a rust filter on it but before I bought the place some one must have let it go into bypass. Or the rust is from the boiler itself. Question: How often should I flush the system and how do I do it, or is it OK to just let it alone. Thanks.

Old 02-08-08, 06:55 AM
Who
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Rust requires water, iron and oxygen. In a closed HWBB system there shouldn't be any air in the piping, so there shouldn't be any free oxygen, so there shouldn't be any rust.

Every time you add water, flush the system etc, you are adding water that has air bubbles in it and you're giving the system an opportunity to rust more.

Leave the water be, and if there are any leaks, get them fixed. There's no need to flush a closed system, it just makes things worse.

Old 02-08-08, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old boiler water should be black, not rusty. Rust would indicate that your system is being supplied with makeup water, perhaps due to a leak in the system. Try turning off the water supply feeding the boiler, and carefully monitor the pressure to see if it shows a constant drop over several days' time. If it does, you have a leak that needs attention.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: