Problem with hot water boiler

Old 02-11-08, 10:58 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with hot water boiler

Here is my problem,

I have a 5 year old slant fin boiler with new slant fin baseboards. It is a 2 zone system, one for the 1st floor the other for the 2nd floor.

The problem is with the 1st floor heat, the supply line runs hot, but the return line come back just warm.
The 2nd floor suplly line is hot and the return line is also hot.

This problem has given me poor heat on the 1st floor and adequate heat on the 2nd flooor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-11-08, 04:20 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Chip, are you zoning with electric valves ? or two circulators, one for each zone ?

Take a look along the baseboard with flashlight and see if you can locate any small 'air bleeders' , usually at elbows at the end of a baseboard run...

What pressure is the boiler running at, HOT and COLD ?

Do you ever hear any 'gurgling' noises that might indicate there is air in the piping ?

Are there any valves in line with the baseboards that might be partially closed ?

Old 02-11-08, 05:14 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2 electric zone valves

the pressure is at 12 psi hot. cold I do not know

no sounds

no inline valves

there are no bleeder valves

Old 02-11-08, 05:54 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
How many feet of baseboard element in each zone ?

12 PSI HOT is probably a little on the low side. This is from the gauge on the boiler, yes ?

Is there a manual water feed valve in line with the automatic fill valve ? Is the manual valve open ?

If you wish, you may take some pictures of the system and post them on www.photobucket.com (free) and provide a link here for us to view them. May help us get some ideas to help you ...

Old 02-11-08, 09:11 PM
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
As Trooper asked how much radiation is there? I also would suspect air or a zone valve not opening properly. As two valves open the flow should increase through the valves. If one valve is open the flow will slow down in the one open zone. As the second floor would have more resistance to flow and only that zone was calling it should have the lowest flow. If it heats OK than you do not have the proper flow due to air or mechanical reasons, or, taking away too much heat for the tubing size. 3/4" pipe chould be limited to 65-70 ft of baseboard element.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: