Zone Valve ot Thermostat

Old 02-12-08, 08:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zone Valve ot Thermostat

Oil fired, hot water baseboard system, 3 Zones via zone valves and a single circulator pump. 2 zones are fine. Third will not get heat. I removed the thermostat and shorted together the red and white wire, got a spark and the circulator runs. The furnace did not turn on and no heat to the zoned area. Feed valves are open as is the return. The zone valve has a green plastic cover which I took off. There's a thing that looks like a tiny plunger. It wouldn't move whereas the same thing in the other zone valve moved when pressed. I removed the thing and freed up the plunger and actually got water to leak a little. Reinstalled zone valve. Removed cover from the thermostat and manually moved the contact, no spark whereas the other thermostat has a tiny arc when connecting. But shorting the two wires in the non-spark thermostat still turns on the circulator pump, just no heat. What does this sound like, bad thermostat or bad zone valve, both? How do zone valves actually work, what lets hot water flow? I tried with the plunger out and then held in with a small clamp, no change. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-08, 01:22 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I am going to assume these are Taco zone valves. The operation is a call for heat will energize the plunger and press on the diaphragm opening the valve. It will than make a set of contacts and start the circulator. If the circulator is running under normal circumstances the valve is open. What is the pressure on the system? It the loop air locked. There should be a handle on the side of the valve when pulled down will manually open the valve. If this is down and the circulator is on does the zone heat? If not I might think the loop is air bound on pressure is too low.

Old 02-13-08, 07:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi And thanks for the reply. There's one Taco and two god-knows-what. None have levers. BUT I fixed it. Little plunger was stuck, system itself didn't seem to have the right anmount of water.. I released the feed valve (top of furnace cold water line going to it) and the system took a lot of water. Drain valves on the different zones started flowing a lot of water through their faucets. Swapped a know good thermo with the bad zone's thermo and got heat. Follow up will deal with the fill valve. I'll need to have that checked or gain a better understanding how my furnace system works. Well-McClain about 24 years old. The two different zone valves are a green plactic cover that is released by pulling on the bottom. They look a little beat, but I've got heat in all three zones now. Probably was an air bound system too. Not anymore ! Thanks Again.

Last edited by rmmagow; 02-13-08 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling