Tjernlund SS2 constant problems

Old 02-19-08, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tjernlund SS2 constant problems

Hi All-

I'd like to get some feedback on my problems. I've read plenty about how power venters are, in general, not reliable. But are they this bad?

We had a new Tjernlund SS2 installed last March for about $1000 complete by our oil service company. Since then, it's had about 7 service calls. Sometimes the boiler is running when the fan isn't, so I can smell sulfur in the air. Twice the main circuit board has been replaced. A few times it had to be "reset" as it was causing the burner breaker to trip.

I've voiced my displeasure to the oil company and don't get much response. Am I destined to have a problem with this thing every few months? Did I get a lemon? Considering the circuit board is the brain, and the rest is mechanical, to me it seems like Tjernlund just hasn't worked all the bugs out. I hear this is one of the better venters too, so I was hoping for at least a year at a time before servicing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-08, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Ss2

Without ever seeing the installation, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's not installed in strict compliance with Tjernlund's manual.
If you don't have it, the manual can be downloaded & printed from Tjernlund's web site: http://tjernlund.com/Sizing/
From there you can get links to the manuals.

You don't have to be a tech. Their instructions are very clear on what is to be done, particularly on the wiring.

All that being said, sidewall venting oil fired equipment can be troublesome but in most cases proper installation will prevent most of the trouble.

Old 02-20-08, 06:18 AM
The manual is there. The tech left it above the system. It sure looks like they knew what they were doing. They were figuring our elbows and the like, and the impact on it. I'll look into it though. It just seems that the circuit board keeps failing though.

Old 02-20-08, 01:55 PM
If the heating applinace is running and the Side shot is not
------
The SS2 is wired incorrectly
------
It should and will poof draft BEFORE firing the applinace or it will NOT interlock and it will NOT launch the oil burner. It will also vent the appliance for 3 to xx minutes after burner shut down to keep the smell out of the dwelling - again IF the dip switches are set and the unit is wired to the appliance correctly.

If the board continues to fail - it is not wired correctly or like the pc you are reading this on - maybe it needs a line voltage conditioner. (UPS)

The manual has a toll free tech line - call and confirm

Old 02-20-08, 06:08 PM
Tjernlund Sideshot

Reading your thread with interest.
I've been running an older SS1 power venter now for almost 11 years and had no problems with it at all. It's important that it is hooked up properly ie. call for heat turns on the power venter's motor along with the furnace's burner motor for a 10 second pre purge. Once the venter's proofing switch has made the burner comes on. After the burner shuts off the venter will post purge. I've adjusted mine for about 2.5 minutes.
The only maintenance I do on my venter is I remove the motor c/w fan wheel to clean off all the residue.
I do this once every 2 years. That's it.
Maybe the newer stuff isn't as good as the older.
The circuitboard should last for the life of the device.
If your wiring between venter and furnace is correct it is impossible for the burner to run without the venter running.
This is a dangerous situation and should be fixed immediately.

Old 02-21-08, 07:17 AM
The first time the SS2 didn't run, and the boiler did, I flipped on the oil company. I have 3 little kids in the house. They checked it all out and said it's wired correctly. That was when the board was replaced the first time. Then, it happened again. I actually didn't get an answer as to why. But the board was replaced again (second time). I'm confident this oil company knows their stuff, but I'm growing more concerned. They aren't a small outfit, and have a great reputation. They seems perplexed as well.

We'll see now...this last repair was last week. It usually takes about a month for problems to start to surface again.

Old 02-21-08, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sideshot wiring

I strongly suggest you check the wiring yourself. You don't need to be a tech or know anything about how something works to follow Tjernlund's wiring diagrams.

Old 02-21-08, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
I'm confident this oil company knows their stuff, but I'm growing more concerned. They aren't a small outfit, and have a great reputation. They seems perplexed as well.

We'll see now...this last repair was last week. It usually takes about a month for problems to start to surface again.
I get oil and service from the biggest oil company around here with a good reputation and it doesn't really mean all that much.
I had been having issues with my burner (Riello) cutting out for the past year or so and the sevice guy from the company didn't really know what the problem was so he'd replace the nozzle.
It would last for about 2 months or so and then the burner would cut out again and again. I had had enough after 3 nozzle replacements and called the company requesting another technician to have a look.
He found the problem within 20 minutes ( turbulator adjustment way off and bad primary control). System has been running well ever since.
Moral of the story - it doesn't matter what company does the servicing, everything depends upon the calibre of their technicians.
BTW I just installed the Beckett heat manager on my system and I like it a lot. It has reduced short cycling dramatically which is a lot easier on the boiler. The only thing I had to do was to bypass the triple action in my aquastat ie. circulator on full time whenever there is a call for heat.

Old 02-22-08, 11:38 AM
All these new electronic controls need to have proper grounds. In grounds I mean earth grounds. The little green wire that no one knows what to do with.

Old 02-22-08, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
The first time the SS2 didn't run, and the boiler did.
Sorry to post in terse language.

by the statement above---- THE SS2 IS WIRED WRONG!

Old 02-22-08, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by stingthieves View Post
Sorry to post in terse language.

by the statement above---- THE SS2 IS WIRED WRONG!
Sting: I suspect the same. A common mistake is wiring the Sideshot & the boiler from different circuits, particularly off different sides of the panel. It's easy to get neutral feed back & fry the electronics.

Old 02-26-08, 07:01 AM
I'll check it, but there's only one 15A line feeding the whole boiler/burner, and SS2.

Old 02-26-08, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wiring

When looking at the wiring, make sure, as Heatguy said, the ground is properly connected. It is important the ground terminal is connected to a wire which is traceable all the way back to the panel & ultimately to an earth ground.

Old 09-08-09, 11:58 AM
Tjernlund SS 2 to replace older power venter

Hi, I am looking to replace a 12 year old Tjernlund power venter with a new SS 2 and I am wondering if you were able to get your SS 2 problems worked out.
Has any one else had experience with this power venter?

Thanks

Old 09-08-09, 12:36 PM
It actually has been working fine as of late. Knock on wood.

I actually don't recall what the last problem was, but I believe it actually wasn't something with the vent itself.

Old 01-29-10, 08:34 PM
Tjerlumd SS2 Vent

I had to replace the reducer on my boiler to the tjernlund SS2 today. It had rotted apart and the flue pipe was just floating around and the exhaust was partially entering my basement. after replacing the reducer and putting it all back together I could feel air blowing down from the bottom of the SS2 power vent.Looking up at the unit, on the righ side I felt cool air and on the left I felt warm air. I never noticed ot before. Is this normal????

Thanks, Carl