Carrier boiler "clicking"

Old 02-21-08, 03:39 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier boiler "clicking"

Hello,
I have a Carrier series PW83 hot water boiler, most likely installed in 1967 when the house was new. We've owned the home for 8 years, and no problems. Last night, I heard loud clicking noises, and after tracking it down, it was the boiler. After waiting for it to happen again, I caught it. The ignition pilot module would click loudly a few times, I would hear the "whoof" of the main burner lighting off. The burner would stay lit for a minute or two, apparently go out, and the whole cycle repeated itself. The boiler then began working fine, and has worked fine since. I know as soon as I leave it go, it'll stop for good some night when I'm out of town.
I am an electrician & carpenter, but not a HVAC troubleshooter. I can identify parts and know how a boiler works overall. I am thinking that I am going to clean the flame sensor, check for proper voltages at the gas valve, and check wiring connections (typical sparky stuff). I have a hunch that my Pilot ignition module (honeywell S8600F) is going, but isn't quite gone yet. I'm not sure how to confirm my hunch with everything working OK now. If I decide to replace it, is there any other parts that should be replaced with it as a matter of good practice? Any input would be appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help!

Aaron

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-08, 08:56 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mitchellbd

if you have a model S8600F intermit pilot control on a 1967 boiler it must be a conversion from an old standing pilot system. The old standing pilots where replaced with Q345A (nat. or propane) pilot burner igniter-sensor combination.
It has i spark plug type wire from it to your burner control. It not only sparks and lites the pilot but has a sensor to prove that a pilot is lit.
Watch it after the pilot comes on and if it continues to spark for an extended period of time the sensor is not proving flame all the time. The main burner might come on for a time but go off when your control does not sence a pilot.
Check the ignition wire and thinner sensor wire connections first. If it still ****s up replace it first then the S8600F, then the gas valve if necessary.