smoke coming out from front of boiler

Old 02-22-08, 07:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
smoke coming out from front of boiler

Hello,
I have a Weil-McLain boiler and a Beckett oil burner connected to the front. The tube where burner connects to the boiler has smoke coming out of it. It's not coming out from around the outside edge of where the tube mounts where I see a gasket, but it's coming out toward the inside.
Does anybody know how I can figure out what is causing this? The chimney is clear and is not blocked.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-08, 09:10 AM
It also looks like there may be a little bit of oil coming out of there too. Does anybody think this is a bad nozzle? Or is this a more serious issue?

Old 02-22-08, 09:46 AM
Wink

You say
The chimney is clear and is not blocked.
If so is draft ok with the barometic damper???? Then next for sure the nozzle. Is the cone ok?? Nozzle set right to the cone. If you dont know oil burners Id say call a tech.

Old 02-22-08, 10:17 AM
I'm not a tech, but I have an basic understanding of how they work. I actually dont have a barometric damper. The boiler backs up to a brick chimney and has a flue that goes into and up the chimney.

Anything else to keep an eye out for??

Old 02-22-08, 10:24 AM
Sounds to me like a combustion issue. Right out of the gate it sounds like there is no draft over the fire. I would have a cleaning done on the boiler and have it set up with a combustion analizer. Its the only correct way.

Old 02-22-08, 08:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Smoke?

With oil coming out, it sounds like you have a plugged or nearly plugged boiler & on the verge of having a running saturation. You need a TECH pronto.
Notice the caps in tech? I don't mean a soot sucker who's going to "clean" the boiler & be out of there in an hour or so. I mean a true technician who is going to spend the time to clean, look, test, & communicate his findings to you.

Old 02-22-08, 09:17 PM
Thank you all for your advice!
Grady...I'm from Newark DE!!!!
Thanks Again

Old 02-22-08, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Newark

Home of the Fighting Blue Hens. Good luck with the boiler. I don't know who to suggest up that way. I'm SW of Dover Air Force Base.

When you call a service company, be sure to tell them about the smoke & oil. Also ask to have one of their most experienced techs come out & evaluate your system to determine what caused the problem. How long since the boiler has been cleaned?
Let me know how things turn out.

Old 02-22-08, 09:54 PM
About a year ago a tech did vacuum out the soot. I had another cleaning/maintenance done just 3 months ago, but the tech didn't vaccum, only changed oil filter, nozzle, etc.

When I shined a light down through the boiler, light is able to reach the chamber. I guess it's time for a pro.