Please help, knocking pipe noise.....

Old 02-25-08, 06:18 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help, knocking pipe noise.....

I am looking for some advice…. Any response is greatly appreciated…… For the past few weeks I have been getting some pipe noise on the top floor of three story house….
Here is some description of the issue….
I have my thermostat on the program and temps go up and down between 67 and 71. Whenever the heat goes on, I hear some noise, probably some expansion in the pipes or fins on the radiator and then it stops, however, sometimes it sounds like water is dripping on the sheetrock and it would stop….. then it can start again…... It has been thee weeks and I do not see wet spot on the second floor sealing…. So I do not think it is leaking…. Could this be just air in the pipes? At night, it is loud enough to wake me up…… thank you.

Old 02-25-08, 07:42 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Could very possibly be air. There is a gauge on your boiler which indicates pressure and temperature. What does it read?

Old 02-25-08, 07:51 AM
A
I keep boiler at 170f and around 20psi.. thx.....

Old 03-11-08, 10:17 AM
F
hi anna. i hope you've gotten this worked out by now. i 've been having similar issues. i get pipe noises and the boiler itself makes knocking noises also, when my pressure is at 20psi like your boiler. is/was your boiler loud as well, or just the pipes? this is a band aid, but i've been keeping my supply water off to lower the pressure to 12-15psi. so your pressure might be too high.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: