pressure relief valve leaking

Old 03-02-08, 05:23 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pressure relief valve leaking

came home yesterday and the pressure relief valve on my boiler was leaking.system must have auto filled.psi on gauge was about20 lbs.I turned water inlet turned off and valve cotinues to leak.inlet valve,pressure relief,and expansion tank are only 18 months old.expansion tank doesn't seem to have water in it,like maybe its bad.should i just replace pressure relief valve?i believe expansion tank is maintence free.any help?

Old 03-02-08, 06:54 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
If it is a bladder type tank, isolate it, remove it and check with a bicycle pump that it is around 15 psi and able to hold pressure. PRVs are supposed to release water (leaking is probably a bad term to use) when pressure exceeds 30 psi. The pressure is highest when the boiler temps are highest.

Old 03-04-08, 06:09 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I didn't know there was a schrader valve on the bottom of expansion tank.anyway,no water in expansion tank.drained boiler down and measured air in bladder.less than 5lbs. filled with tire pump to 12 lbs.refilled boiler,let run to operating temp.system works fine.thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: