De-lime the boiler

Old 03-07-08, 11:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
De-lime the boiler

The boiler seems to have more bangs and pops then in the past. I have flushed both zones so I don't believe it is air in the system. The factory manual say's that the boiler may need to be de-limed. The system is about 12 years old and been serviced on an annually. Has anyone ever heard of de-limeing and if so is this something I can do or should I call my repairman.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-08, 12:55 PM
Lime scale

Just undo and remove the heat exchanger. Some like mine have large holes in the sides that you can open and remove the loose lime, if not give it a good shake and lots of lime bits will fall out, then use vinegar or similar to loosen any that stuck.

Your hand book should tell you to fill the system with lime free water to avoid this problem.

The water captured by you de-humidifier will do the job fine.
Perry

Old 03-07-08, 03:13 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Perry, are you talking about a hot water boiler for heating a home ?

Retired, what make / model boiler ? Don't go shaking it though ... not yet anyway!

Old 03-07-08, 04:05 PM
Wink

Id also say if you have a hot water boiler why do you have to de-limed it. It should have the same water in it that went in when new.

Old 03-08-08, 02:18 AM
Lime scale

Yes, many heating systems loose pressure over time and they need topping up. One culprit is very tiny holes too small for water to run through but, large enough for water vapour to pour through.
If this is about a straight water heater, then the same simple process applies, except that it will keep on happening.

Old 03-08-08, 05:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
More important before you try de-liming is to find the leaks and repair them or the problem will come back. The only cause for this is adding too much fresh water.
There are commercial de-liming products on the market but best left to professionals.