Moving a programmable thermostat

Old 03-24-08, 02:35 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving a programmable thermostat

Can anyone tell me if moving a programmable thermostat from one location to a new one about 8ft away is difficult?We are getting a new wood pellet stove in our dining room and my fear is it will "fool" the thermostat into thinking its to the proper temp. Problem is that this zone controls our dining room, kitchen, and two of the kids bedrooms. When I replaced the old honeywell thermostat I only noticed two wires, we do not have central air or anything else. Just a Burnham boiler for our heat and hot water. Adding to the problem is my home has a cinder block core, so running wire thru the walls is nothing short of a nightmare for me.

My preference is to relocate it to the hallway. (where it should have been in the first place) Also, can you just add to the wires? That is, just connect wire nuts to the wires and run them to the new location. Or do you need some junction junction box for the connection?

Old 03-24-08, 05:55 PM
A
as long as its not hardwired it should be easy, just unscrew it and mount it 8 ft away. You can extend the wires no problem. Even if it was hardwired you could extend those wires too. If you cant get in the wall you will have a wire just hanging there though. If it is hardwired make sure that breaker is off

Old 03-26-08, 09:43 AM
D
Wireless Themostat?

I installed a wireless themostate when i had the same problem.

Here is the link.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...omation/p1.htm

The only problem i have is if the power blinks or i flip the breaker off. The themostate base will not power up until you slap the wall unit. I batteries last about 4-6 months.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: