Need to Figure Direction of Water Flo for Hot Water Baseboard Heat

Old 04-19-08, 11:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to Figure Direction of Water Flo for Hot Water Baseboard Heat

I am living in an older 5 floor, multi unit building with hot water baseboard heat. My zone valve is stuck open in my unit and I need to replace it. However, I am not sure which way the water is flowing in the system and the new Honeywell valve has to be installed in the right direction.

There is a shutoff valve on each end of the system in my unit. The zone valve is on one end next to a shutoff, and on the the other end near the shutoff is a drain valve to attach a hose.

Which way would the water be flowing?

Old 04-20-08, 07:48 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
If you're stuck, just turn on the heat and see which side gets hot first.

Old 04-20-08, 10:50 AM
S
Problem is that the current valve is stuck open so there is no way to turn the heat off to try that experiment.

I read somewhere that the zone valves are generally installed on the egress side but not always. If true, I am not sure why they would have the drain on the other side though.

Old 04-20-08, 11:50 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
ZVs can be on the supply or return. It should even either be obvious or say on the boiler. Can you follow the piping back from there?

Old 04-20-08, 12:06 PM
S
Not possible to follow the piping. This is a 5 floor building with about 12 units on each floor, and I have no idea where the piping goes after it leaves my unit. I can't even get into the boiler room.

I can get flow out of the drain from both sides, depending on which shutoff I close, so that experiment doesn't help much either.

The old valve that is in there doesn't seem to have a direction on it either. It is so old and I can't even identify what brand it is, or I would check to see what direction it is installed. I'll email you a picture if you think you can identify it.

Old 04-20-08, 01:48 PM
Thumbs up diredtion of flow

Hello,

In your first post you mentioned there are 2 shut off valves on your heat line.

You only need to close one of them for this test. After you close one valve wait approx. 1/2 hour until baseboard is cool then with the help of a friend, you at one end and your help at the other, open then valve you turned off and see which side get hot first. that will be your feed.

Don't forget that as long as you can stop the flow of water by way of zone or manual valve, it will stop the heat going to your baseboard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: