Hot Water System - pressure side vs return side

Old 04-23-08, 09:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water System - pressure side vs return side

I have an older hot water system ('70s) which I am getting ready to add a few additional cast iron radiators to for the basement. I appreciate the help on my earlier post. I plan on adding the updated air tank and related valves.

I am in the process of figuring out where to tap into the existing pipes for the additional radiators. I ran into something that has me confused. Some of my existing radiators are connected to pressure side and the return side of the pump. That seems to make sense to me. I'm not sure if the return side actually pulls the water through the radiators but I assume the pressure is lower on the return side. I have noticed that some of my radiators are actually connected to the pressure side only. They seem to be working although I'm wondering if this is correct. I would have thought that all of the radiators would have been connected the same way.

Does it make sense to have two taps a couple of feet apart on the same pipe running to a radiator? Aren't both taps going to have the same pressure?

Thanks...

Old 04-23-08, 11:24 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Does it make sense to have two taps a couple of feet apart on the same pipe running to a radiator?
Under some circumstances, yes, it does.

I suspect that these are either connected with Monoflo fittings or else there is an orifice or balancing valve also installed.

Some pictures of the connection point of the radiators to the main line would help.

In fact, you may have a combination of Monoflo fittings and a series loop or even a two-pipe system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: