Fuel line copper tubing

Old 04-30-08, 02:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fuel line copper tubing

Hi
I need to extend my oil fuel line to my burner a few feet. I am not sure of the size and the type of copper tubing I need to buy. I need to add about three feet of copper tube after the shut off valve. Then re-attach the fuel filter going to the burner. Also not sure what the fittings are called and size I need to do this. Sorry for silly question I just do not want to buy the wrong material.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-08, 03:15 PM
Good afternoon,

Well, first of all, the type and size of pipe is normally called 3/8" o.d. copper soft tubing. Most places now sell a coated tubing just for oil lines. New code item. It protects the copper from electrolysis when running in a concrete floor or against the wall.

The fittings SHOULD be flare type fittings, which would mean buying or borrowing a flaring tool. Not too expensive for cheap ones in the hardware stores. Compression fittings are not recommended even though I run into them all the time. They can start to leak just from the vibration or the heating system.

I hope this helps you. Mark

Old 04-30-08, 03:28 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I would take it a step further, and say that flare fittings MUST be used. And if you run into any compression fittings while you are doing the work, replace them. They can be very troublesome ... the leak can be so small as to not leak oil OUT, but yet, the air will leak IN (smaller molecules). It can be very difficult to find an air leak in a fuel line, so using flare fittings from the git-go is pretty much a 'no-brainer'.

Practice with the flare tool a bit before you try it on a 'live' piece.

OH, and don't forget to put the flare nut on the tubing BEFORE you flare the end !

Old 04-30-08, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Flares

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post

OH, and don't forget to put the flare nut on the tubing BEFORE you flare the end !
That sounds like the voice of experience. "Prettiest flare I've ever seen. Aw crap, I forgot the nut."

Anyone who hasn't pulled that dumb stunt hasn't done much flaring.

Old 04-30-08, 06:01 PM
M
Thanks for the fast replies!!!
Great now I know exactly what I should buy.

I just got to remember nut then flare, nut then flare.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 04-30-08, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Tubing size

3/8" O.D. is the most common around here but other places require 3/8 I.D. (1/2" O.D.). I suggest using an open end wrench as kind of a make shift caliper. If the 3/8 wrench won't go over the tubing, your lines are probably 1/2".