Wet Base (Bottom) Boiler - Furnace Liner

Old 05-03-08, 12:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet Base (Bottom) Boiler - Furnace Liner

I have a Slant Fin Model 78-105 wet base boiler. The furnace is lined some type of high density mineral wool which is beginning to fall apart. Before I replace the liner, I am wondering why its required if the furnace has a wet bottom. Is this to keep the flame from impinging on the rear wall? The lining insulates the entire furnace which blocks a considerable amount of heat transfer and would appear to lower the boiler efficiency. I contacted Slant Fin via email and never got a response. On another note, is there any way to estimate the boilers remaining service life? I estimate that it was installed in 1982.

Old 05-04-08, 04:47 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The liner you are talking about does not block heat trasfer it aids in better combustion. These liners are desiged to reflect heat back into the flame to assist in combustion.
There is no way to determine boiler life. My opinion is if the boiler is 26 years old I would replace it. The life expectency is 20 years. It owes you nothing at this point. Put it to bed and properly size the new boiler.

Old 05-04-08, 07:12 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: