Peerless WBV Steam or Smith Series 8?

Old 05-16-08, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Peerless WBV Steam or Smith Series 8?

Hey there,

I am in the process of getting my boiler replaced and I have quotes from two contractors for two different boiler types: Peerless WBV Steam and Smith Series 8. I know nothing about either of these types and I've done some research online and only found some negative reviews of Peerless being noisy (although they did not specify a model). Does anyone have experience with either? I'm just curious about any general info out there. Good experiences or bad, what you like or dislike about them. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-08, 03:47 PM
Hello,

I have installed many Peerless boilers and have had very good luck with them. As a matter of fact it is my favorite boiler at this time. I have not noticed them to be any louder then any other oil boiler. I put one in my mom's house 9 years ago with only 1 service call so far. It was an electrical control. They have a good warranty. I have never installed a Smith boiler, but have cleaned a few. I have heard they are a good boiler also. You would be surprised how many boilers are almost exactly alike. You know like, Chevy,Pontiac,Buick,Olds etc. then you have your Cadillacs... Buderus and others. The new modular condensing boilers are the way of the future I think, But I have only seen one that uses oil so far and it doesn't have a high BTU rating, and I don't know if it will handle steam.

I did install a new v-84 series Burnham boiler on Wednesday. and it was very quiet because the burner came with a special box to quiet it down. Maybe you can get that with your boiler. Ask your installer.

Old 05-16-08, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Peerless vs Smith

I've never used either in a steam application & it has been many years since I've installed a Smith at all (no distributor in my area). Having installed many WBVs in water trim, I don't recall them being any noisier than other boilers of similar design.

Old 05-16-08, 09:06 PM
Good to know

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-17-08, 07:20 PM
Have you checked into the Burnham Mega Steam? Not to try to add confusion but this boiler has many good points and was designed exclusively for steam. Not just a water boiler doing double duty.

Ken

Old 05-18-08, 05:25 AM
A second vote for the Burnham Megasteam. Everything I've read and heard about says it's a really good one. The steam pros in the NE really really like it.

Old 05-18-08, 09:01 AM
Now that you mention it, I have heard the same thing from guys in the trade and the reps.

http://www.burnham.com/PDF/MEGAST~2.PDF
http://www.burnham.com/mega.htm

Old 05-18-08, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Burnham Mega Steam

I've never used one but like the others, I've read a lot of good reports from those who have.