new boiler install questions

Old 06-28-08, 06:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new boiler install questions

Well my new boiler is enroute so as I prepare for installion I have a couple of questions. I am installing a Biasi b-10 with a reillo burner, taco zvc and a tek mar 260. I also bought a smart 40 iwh which I'll run with a taco 007. I'm also going to use a 007 for the circ pump.

1. Taco or Honeywell zone valves? Any difference or just personnal preference.

2. Extrol tank, is there any better or worse place for it? Also does it matter if the air fitting is up or down? I've seen them both ways. I was planning on hooking it up to the air scoop on my supply 1 1/2 manifold. Also is this a good place to connect the make up water supply?

3. All of my zone valves and circ pumps will be isolated with ball valves. Do I need to put it drains above the zone valves?

4. I have a two line fuel system now. I bought a trigerloop so I won't need the return line. Do I just cap it off?

5. Fuel filter. Should I use a spin on or a wool style or both?

thanks in advance

Old 06-29-08, 05:53 AM
Good Morning

1 - I like Taco, but I was taught with them and never had any problems except for the green heads years ago. I know lot's of plumbers that like Honeywell. I think you should flip a coin.

2 - I always put my expansion tank on my air scoop with the vent sticking up. Yes it is OK to install the fill valve between the tank and air scoop.

3 - Those drains are usually used as purge valves, so yes they should be there.

4 - I am not all that familiar with tiger loop installation. I would just follow the instructions for the pump hook-up and cap off return line at the tank.

5 - I really like the spin on filter, (Garber). I have never seen a different brand spin-on filter. There is no need to install more than one filter, and it should be at the tank, (unless outside), after the safety valve. Some heating techs will suggest two filters, but I have been cleaning heating systems for years and have never seen a system with two filters. And they all run just fine.

Old 06-29-08, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
New Boiler

Honeywell or Taco zone valves? Neither. I like a circulator for each zone but if you must use zone valves, I prefer Honeywell. Just personal preference.

The circulator should be on the supply side & pumping away from the expansion tank & reducing valve. This should be shown in the installation manual.

Regarding filters: The Garber is an excellent filter particularly if preceded by a wool or gear tooth canister filter. The canister will remove the majority of the junk with the Garber as a "polishing" filter. Chances are with this set up you will only need to change the Garber about every 5 years.

TigerLoop: Just cap off the return line & follow in intallation instructions with the Tigerloop. You will need to install the bypass plug in the burner pump along with the return fittings.

Old 06-29-08, 03:45 PM
A
So if I understand you right as long as the make up water is before the pump it's ok?

Old 06-29-08, 10:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Piping

I could not find an I&O manual for the Biasi online but here is one from Burnham. http://www.burnham.com/PDF/MPO_I&O.pdf

Old 06-29-08, 10:43 PM
I thought I sent this out earlier. Maybe I sent it to the wrong post... OOps. Hopefully it works now.

Hey Grady, take a look at it. I need to find an easier way to do this.

http://gs249.photobucket.com/groups/...ent=Boiler.jpg

Old 06-30-08, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Piping

That'll work except I don't see any air removal device.

Old 06-30-08, 02:50 PM
I ran out of thought energy while making the picture

Old 07-03-08, 05:13 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Try this
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ickDrawing.jpg
The bypass may not be required on your installation

Option 2
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...raightpipe.jpg