INTELLICON HW or beckett HM

Old 07-08-08, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
INTELLICON HW or beckett HM

Any opinions on either one. Did not find to many posts on these units. Pros or cons on either one. My system would not be worth investing in anything more expensive than these. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-08, 01:49 PM
Post Intellicon Hw vs Heat Manager

Hi I had purchased several of the Intellicon's over the course of the last year and prior to that I had used the beckett heat managers, The main reason I think the Intellicon is a better more superior product is that it is more sophisticated in it's design but also in its micro processor firmware, in other words the later software release, Even though they are both manufactured by Intellidyne, the heat manager was specifically made for Beckett as a lower priced stripped down entry level unit. With Intellicons built in LCD display I can actually see what my instantaneous savings and life time energy savings are as opposed to the "black Box" heat manager, additionally the heat manager makes the assumption that one size fits all boilers so it's microprocessor is tuned to the middle of the road as opposed to optimizing and maximizing its capabilities. With the Intellicon HW+ this can all be maximized for greatest energy savings. The long and short, the device definitely saves on energy costs and as far as spending an additional $100 or so for the Intellicon, I would definitely say yes as it will be pay for itself in months let alone giving you a "warm feeling" (sorry for the bad pun) that you are in deed saving money...any way good luck!

Old 07-09-08, 06:19 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Either one works for me. Look at the features and price......take your pick. As far as the displayed savings it is working off estimated formulas so the accuracy is questionable in my opinion. Use real math with fuel usage and degree days.

Old 07-10-08, 07:29 AM
Since the device shortens the firing cycle time of the boiler and measures the load of the output of the same it knows in real numbers what the savings would be which in a sence make the degree day a moot point, with an outdoor reset device it takes a completly different approach which is tough to measure.

Old 07-11-08, 02:24 PM
Thanks for replies. The Intellicon Hw is about $60 more so I will go for it. Any negative experiences with using it with tankless coils. I know I need an extra sensor but was wondering if it will have a negative effect in off seasons and not produce enough hot water.
These days if it saves 5% in oil payback will be quick.

Old 07-13-08, 07:55 PM
The Intellicon HW is designed to accomadate tankless setups, thats why you would use the second sensor which monitors the domestic hot water temp output to ensure that there is always adequate hot water supply, the Intellicon also accomadates indirect domestic hot water but in that configuration you dont use the the second sensor, regardless the unit works great with either setup and I have seen in older type boilers savings even beyond the 10-20% the mfg guarantees, it really is an interesting, well desined and effective device.

Old 03-13-10, 04:47 AM
couple newbie questions about INtellicon

Hi
I need the following questions answered regarding the intellicon-HW. Can you help?

1. I have a 7 unit apt. building with HWBB powered by an ANCIENT boiler (78% efficiency rating) – with separate oil fired HW 60 gallon heater. Would the intellicon save me much fuel with such an outdated system? Would it possibly behoove me to buy one for the separate HW system as well?
2. I have a 4 unit apartment building with old boiler and steam heat (radiators) and also separate oil HW heater . Would the intellicon be an “intelligent” choice for steam heat, and would it be worth using a second one for the water?
Thanks much!

Old 03-13-10, 03:41 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Steam.......no! To improve the efficiency of steam systems check for pipe insulation, proper venting, fast main line vents to start.
Check this link
Technical Menu
Click on steam menu and look at FAQ.
On the water boiler if you have an over sized boiler and larger water volume such as cast iron rads a definite yes. Some will disagree but I have seen way too many save with these products.

Old 11-18-10, 09:18 AM
Intellicon HW

Looks like there's another company selling the same device but with a different label. EnerGo USA Spoke with someone and looks like they just want to get rid of their inventory. I was quoted $130 for 1.