oil to gas conversion

Old 07-15-08, 02:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil to gas conversion

I have a 7 year old Weil McLain SGO-3 oil steam boiler, fairly efficient, but with the cost of oil going up i have been looking into the gas conversion burner's made by Carlin and Wayne. Would it be practical and economical to go ahead with one of these aftermarket burners, or would i be throwing my money away, i guess what i am asking here, is how efficient are these burners, and what kind of savings i would get. Thanks Jim

Old 07-15-08, 11:49 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The gas conversion burners are what are known as "power burners" because they have a blower that supplies combustion air. They are a bit more efficient than a non-powered "atmospheric" gas burner.

However, the question is not whether or not the gas burner is more efficient but is the combination of the gas conversion burner AND your existing boiler more efficient than the oil burner/boiler as it now exists. The burner is just part of the equation and before even considering a change of burner you must know if the boiler manufacturer even supports the changing of fuels (and burners) with your particular boiler.

Old 07-15-08, 03:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
conversion burner

Yes the Wayne gas conversion burner is sanctioned by Weil McLain, i am just interested in whether or not i will see any real savings if i do this to my oil boiler.

Old 07-16-08, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Oil to gas conversion

It is unlikely you will see an increase in efficiency & possibly a slight reduction. As for operating cost: At this moment, natural gas is a good bit cheaper per unit of heat but who knows what is going to happen in the next few years. My local gas company just filed for a rate increase of 16(?)%.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: