Hot Water Base board no heat.

Old 09-01-08, 07:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Base board no heat.

I know this might be a repeated request. But I've done some research on this site. And the situation does not match with this one.

I have a mono flow system (one zone).

The system works, expect for one room. I've replaced the bleeder valve and bleeded the system. Still, no heat. I did notice the supply line was very hot and it took awhile for the entire pipe to be hot (to the base board). But still the base board was cold. Then the return line, from the base base board was cold. But, the return line to the main line was hot. (Still no heat to the base board).

The water pressure is 20 Psi. The oil furance is 3 year old.

Does anyone have this type of problem??? Please assist

Old 09-01-08, 10:03 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
There's air trapped in that baseboard...

Where is the manual bleeder located in relation to the water flow ?

It should be located on the return end... and if it is, bleed with the circulator pump running.

Old 09-02-08, 05:29 AM
D
NJ Trooper,

I've done ALL the steps, which was listed on this site by others. Still, no heat.

NJ Trooper, this is a weird situation.

Old 09-02-08, 05:56 AM
Who
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is this baseboard above or below the main pipe?

How level is the baseboard?

When did this branch heat well last?

What happens exactly when you manually bleed that rad? Try and describe what you see and any sounds in detail.

Is there a shut off at the supply end of the rad? If so, can you confirm is it open?

I'd actually bump the pressure up even closer but still under 30 psi in order to bleed this baseboard.

Is there a partially open bypass loop on the circulator?

Old 09-02-08, 08:50 AM
D
Who.

I will comply with your request.

QUOTE=Who;1422597]Is this baseboard above or below the main pipe?

How level is the baseboard? YES.

When did this branch heat well last? UNKNOWN.

What happens exactly when you manually bleed that rad? Try and describe what you see and any sounds in detail.

OK, here's my finding. During manually bleeding all of the rooms return hot water, expect for the this room. Now, the kitchen lines (supply and return) is in the loop with this room. The kitchen during bleeding is (hot water).

The supply line to the base board to the non heated room is hot. But it takes time for this line to get hot. By trading the pipe to the room the pipe is cold. I've waiting 20 minutes, still the water is cold with the bleeder valve open. (lots of water).

Then the return line at the loop becomes hot. But the return from the base board is very cold. Slowly the return line from the main loop gets hot. (The hot water travels up from the return line not down.)

Is there a shut off at the supply end of the rad? If so, can you confirm is it open? No.

I'd actually bump the pressure up even closer but still under 30 psi in order to bleed this baseboard. Increase to 25 psi. No effect.

Is there a partially open bypass loop on the circulator? No.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by drkm02; 09-02-08 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Who's request
Old 09-02-08, 09:25 AM
D
Who, information

Who,

Here's the information......

Old 09-02-08, 10:19 AM
Who
Thanks... this has to ber very frustrating for you.

So when you bleed the rad, you don't get any air sounds, just a steady stream of cold water. Ultimately warm water flows backwards up the return leg? Is that correct?

Do you bleed with the circ on or off or have you tried both?

Old 09-02-08, 10:51 AM
D
Who.

Yes, to all question...

Old 09-02-08, 10:54 AM
D
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Thanks... this has to ber very frustrating for you.

So when you bleed the rad, you don't get any air sounds, just a steady stream of cold water. Ultimately warm water flows backwards up the return leg? Is that correct?

Do you bleed with the circ on or off or have you tried both?

Correction!!!!. No air just a steam of water. circ is on and off during bleeding....

Old 09-02-08, 02:06 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Can you take some pictures of the baseboard unit with the covers removed and also the piping that supplies this baseboard? Some other pictures showing the piping at the boiler and feeding other baseboards as well.

What pressure are you showing on the boiler pressure gauge before, during and after attempting bleeding? Do you have a diaphragm-type expansion tank or a non-diaphragm type expansion tank? Where is the circulator pump located and where is the expansion tank connection in relation to the suction side of the circulator?

To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Last edited by Furd; 09-02-08 at 03:15 PM. Reason: expansion tank connection point
Old 09-02-08, 03:07 PM
D
Furd: will comply. It will take me alitte longer for this request.

Thanks

Originally Posted by furd View Post
Can you take some pictures of the baseboard unit with the covers removed ...clipped ...

Last edited by NJT; 09-02-08 at 03:36 PM. Reason: no need to quote the entire...
Old 09-02-08, 03:34 PM
NJT
Let's just make sure that everyone is on the same page here... I want to clarify that you do indeed have a MONOFLO (or DIVERTER TEE) setup ...

It could be remotely possible that someone back up the road mistakenly / inadvertently removed a monoflo (diverter) tee maybe when doing some remodeling or something ...

There should be ONE main pipe passing by this particular unit, and TWO TEES on that line. The terminal should be connected to those tees. Are you absolutely sure that ONE or BOTH of those tees are actually in fact diverter tees ?

If they happen to both be normal tee fittings, ain't gonna never work.

Old 09-02-08, 05:29 PM
D
BINGO!!!!!!!

I went down stair to the basement and located the mono flow tee to the room with no heat. And YES!!!!. On the mono flow tee, there is a ridge on the valve. The ridge is away from the supply line and the return line, the ridge is toward the supply line.

Please CONFIRM!!!. The ridge line on the tee must be toward the (Supply Line). And the return line, the ridge line must be away from the supply. Again Please CONFIRM!!!!!!!

Thanks

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Let's just make surethaeveryone is on the same page here... I want to clarify thatyou do indeed have a MONOFLO (or DIVERTER TEE) setup ...

It could be remotely possible that someone back up the road mistakenly / inadvertently removed a monoflo (diverter) tee maybe when doing some remodeling or something ...

There should be ONE main pipe passing by this particular unit, and TWO TEES on that line. The terminal should be connected to those tees. Are you absolutely sure that ONE or BOTH of those tees are actually in fact diverter tees ?

If they happen to both be normal tee fittings, ain't gonna never work.

Old 09-02-08, 06:53 PM
NJT
So, what, you are thinking it's backards ?

The ridge is away from the supply line and the return line, the ridge is toward the supply line.
I can't make any sense outta that sentence !

Which is it ? toward or away ?

Any other markings on that tee ? arrows ? red band ? look close ...

Old 09-02-08, 06:57 PM
NJT
This should be yer basic setup ...

Old 09-02-08, 11:14 PM
Who
The rings go between the risers. Is this copper or black iron? Either way someone messed it up royally.

Old 09-11-08, 02:04 PM
D
Many, Thanks for the information

Hello everyone,

I've been busy at work, and the company computer is off limits. Here's the outcome of this situation..

STUPID ME!!!!!. After careful review. The pipes, supply and return lines were reversed. The solution is corrected. I hope.

I would like to thank everyone who assisted me in solving this problem.

Again thanks

Originally Posted by Who View Post
The rings go between the risers. Is
this copper or black iron? Either way someone messed it up royally.

Old 12-18-09, 05:09 AM
U
Have the same problem

I've got the same problem as described above. Boiler is doing its job making hot water. Hot water is being circulated to the radiators, but radiator and the return water lines are cold. On the radiator there appears to be no room to bleed at that point because of space constrictions. What do you guys think I can do. Can I bleed the return line coming from the radiator which is filled with cold water? Oh yes one more concern my expansion tank is in the return portion of the system, I've been doing some research and all information I've found shows that the expansion tank should be in the feed side of the system. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: