adding new zones to hydronic system

Old 09-10-08, 10:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Ok guys I am sure that you have done this too many times but i do need help
I have a Hydronic boiler that was installed 4 years ago for my basement. the rest of the house was covered with a seperate forced air boiler.
I am redoing my master bedroom that is the coldest room in the house. I want to add a new hydronic zone for the bedroom and a radiant zone for the bath. I also may want to add 2 additional zones for later renovation. so i am thinking a total of 5 zones although i am only going to be using 3 of them now
I am also not quite ready for the radiant heat so I want to set up the boiler so I can tap it in easily when I am ready

This is what I need to do. sweating pipes is no problem. I need to build a manifold for the 5 zones 3/4" pipe I would think

Do I need home runs for each zone for both directions?
I am not sure where I tap in the boiler
I do have an expansion tank already although I am not quite sure what it does

Can I get some help I can post a pic of the boiler if needed

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-08, 02:30 PM
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
I'm a bit confused. When you write "I have a Hydronic boiler that was installed 4 years ago for my basement. the rest of the house was covered with a seperate forced air boiler." do you mean you have a forced air furnace that heats all of your house except the basement and a boiler that heats just your basement? How does the boiler heat the basement, by baseboard convectors, cast iron radiators or some form of radiant panels?

Where is this bedroom and bathroom you desire to add on to the hydronic system? How are they presently heated? Do you have access to the area under the floor? How do you propose to add radiant heating to the bathroom? Radiant floors require lower temperatures than do baseboard convectors. You need to know that micro-zoning (several small to tiny zones) is often not cost effective and can be hard on the boiler.

Yes, pictures are always helpful and more pictures are always better than fewer. Pictures need to be clear and they need to be both close ups showing details AND some from a far enough distance so that we may see how all the different parts are interconnected. Pictures need to be first uploaded to a photo hosting site and then the URLs posted here.

Old 09-11-08, 04:09 AM

yes i had to install a second boiler for the basement. the forced air furnace did not have enough output to add the basement on to it. it is a large house built in the 50's.and the basement was unfinished.i but baseboard in the basement which is about 1200sq.

the bedroom is on the first floor of a ranch farm ranch house.it is on the other end of the house. it is now heated by the forced air furnace but because it is the furthest point from the furnace it is always cold. the bedroom also has 3 outside walls a cold walk in attic above and a cold crawl space below.there is access via a crawl space under the bedroom and the new bath. the bedroom is approx 330sq and the new bath is approx 135sq I was going to pit 2 6f and one 8 ft slantfin h/o baseboard units for the bedroom and was thinking of radiant heat for the bath under tile flooring. I thought a warm floor woulld be nice since the bath is also over the cold crawl space. I could do baseboard in the bath. but there wont be that much wall space. i will get pics today

Old 09-11-08, 05:12 AM
Manifold

I currently have five zones and my manifold is made from 1 1/4" black iron pipe. Each run branches out from the manifold to through a zone valve and than 3/4" copper.