Pilot Light won't stay lit

Old 09-12-08, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot Light won't stay lit

I have a Burnham Series 2 natural gas boiler in my basement. Turned up the thermostat in my living room the other day and everything was great. Did the same last night and no heat. Tried multiple time to relight the pilot light by using the detailed instructions posted on the boiler and then the manual but it won't stay lit. Any ideas? No smell of gas leak, no dripping water.....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-08, 11:17 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If the pilot lit and after holding the knob or button down for a full minute the most likely problem is the thermocouple. This is the little probe that the pilot flame surrounds and is connected to the combination gas valve by the little copper tube. You might first try to tighten the connection on the gas valve but don't break it. It should be only very slightly more than finger tight.

If that didn't work you need to unscrew the thermocouple connection from the gas valve and then remove the probe from the pilot burner. Take the thermocouple to the hardware store (or mega mart home center) and get a replacement the same length. Be careful in re-installing as the little copper tube is really an electrical connection.

Old 09-12-08, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks for Replying

The thermocoupler is snug so I'll remove it and get a replacement. Do I need to turn off the gas to the boiler or is it ok as is until I get the replacement in? Thanks again for your help with this. For being such a simple fix, I was ready to call a plumber to do it!

The wet side of Washington....I move here from there. =) Boy it's nice to be dry.

Old 09-12-08, 07:41 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If I were you I would turn off the gas supply until the thermocouple has been replaced and the pilot relit.