How to wire a 4 wire erie zone valve?

Old 09-12-08, 06:42 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

i have a 2 zone valve system and i just replaced one the valves that went bad.Now i'm really confused with the wiring ,since the valve has 2 black and 2 red wires.The thermostat comes only 2 wires ,one green and the other white.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09-12-08, 07:06 PM
First off, most zone valves to my knowledge are 3 or 4 wires. Thermostats are typically 2 wires, (heat only).

If your existing zone valves are running on only 2 wires, that is to only open and close the valve. It will not start the burner or cirulator.

Depending on the system you have that may be fine.

What brand is the old valve if possible and what brand is the new valve. If you cannot find a brand of the old valve, try to describe it or take a picture and upload it to a photo hosting site like photobucket.com and post the link to the picture here.

Old 09-12-08, 07:19 PM
L

i stated that the valve is an erie with 4 wires-2 black and 2 red.The thermostat is wired on 2 wires for heat only.
thanks for interest.

Old 09-12-08, 08:46 PM
FYI - you did not state it was an Erie valve in your first post, that is why I asked.

According to the wiring diagram I just looked at, the two red wires are hooked to your thermostat and transformer. The two black wires are for the end switch which should go to another control, usually on the boiler, to control the burner and circulator.

Here is the diagram I found

http://source.invensysibs.com/litera...fs/F-27204.pdf

Old 09-13-08, 02:45 AM
L

Once more thanks for devotion in helping me and i do also respect your expertise.
By the way,according to the diagram you said the red wires go the thermostat and the transformer and the black ones to the aux circuits.Correct me if i'm wrong .By looking at the same diagram it seems that the black wires are connected to the thermostat and transformer and the red ones to the boiler.Is my interpretation erroneous?
nick

Old 09-13-08, 03:25 AM
Good catch
Maybe I am dyslexic,....or.... was just plain tired
Good thing I sent the diagram along, and you actually looked at it

Old 09-13-08, 06:30 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Always a good idea to draw a diagram of the wiring BEFORE removing the old valve ... for all I&P (intents and purposes) the Erie valves are basically the same as the Honeywell 8043 series, only the wire colors differ ... (yellow instead of black)

Old 09-13-08, 03:44 PM
J
I've got 5 of those 4 wire Erie zone valves and I can confirm that the blacks go to the thermostat and transformer and the reds go to the aquastat on the boiler.

Old 09-14-08, 10:26 AM
L
Smile How to wire a 4 wire erie zone valve?

To all you guys, i want to say thanks for support ,patience and suggestions .I came out of that forum armed with a dose of learning and experience.And all that was possible because of your unselfishness.
Once more thanks
PS-i forgot to say that i succeeded with the wiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: