make sense? Separate Hot Water Heater from Oil Boiler?

Old 09-22-08, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
make sense? Separate Hot Water Heater from Oil Boiler?

I'm concerned like many w/the high priced of heating Oil. We have no natural Gas on street, so we can't convert. But does it make sense to isolate an Electric Hot Water heater or "Indirect Heater" to shut our boiler down 6 months a year?? Seems such a waste burning Oil at $4 per just for Hot water in the warmer months. We live in northern NJ

thanks... Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-08, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
An indirect is probably a better choice and cold start the boiler. This is true if your electric rates are increasing next year like ours in PA.....40% - 60%. The boiler does not run until there is a call for hot water in the summer and will only run long enough to make hot water and then shut down until the next time the tank needs to replenish.

Old 09-22-08, 04:49 PM
seems like it would make sense. oil, like gas, is great at recovery time but not the most effeciant as alot of heat goes up the stack. during the heating season the boiler would feed a heater that would hardly ever come on or, you could plumb a bypass system for the heater. worth looking in to.

Old 09-22-08, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The indirect tank will only call as needed. These tanks are very well insulated and fast recovery. If the heat thermostat call the tank will not recieve hot water from the boiler.

Old 09-30-08, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by tyanks1 View Post
I'm concerned like many w/the high priced of heating Oil. We have no natural Gas on street, so we can't convert. But does it make sense to isolate an Electric Hot Water heater or "Indirect Heater" to shut our boiler down 6 months a year?? Seems such a waste burning Oil at $4 per just for Hot water in the warmer months. We live in northern NJ

thanks... Tom
i filled my tank with 2.99 oil in june

they just came 2 weeks ago with 3.64 oil

all summer cost me 42 gallons to heat my hot water...i thought it would be much worse

i'm deciding on an indirect as we speak..tired of the coil..plus there's 150 in savings first year since wont use all of 42 gallons next summer

Old 10-05-08, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by tyanks1 View Post

thanks... Tom
That is exactly what I did in my vacation home and it works great. See my recent post 'Strategy for Vacation Home with Electric DHW' (http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=362461). I wired in a 30 amp switch since the house is often vacant, but you can wire in a water heater timer (available at home centers) depending on your DHW needs.

By piping the tank in series as I did, the incoming cold water in the summer will be tempered as it passes through the mass of the boiler and will enter the tank somewhat warmer. In the heating season the insulated tank will serve as a hot water reserve storage, even if turned off. Alternatively, you can plumb in valves to bypass the tank in the winter (my setup can use either approach).

Depending on the oil/KWH economics in your region, it may even make sense to turn down your aquastat low limit and leave the electric tank energized in the winter? Given that the tank is well insulated, this would mean fewer BTUs used to heat your basement.

Last edited by diyswede; 10-05-08 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added hyperlink
Old 10-05-08, 07:57 PM
seperate water heater

Look into a Armitorl water heater. I installed one in my home and it made quite a difference in the boiler firing. I rate them high and calls on the boiler very rarely. Maybe twice a day.