Need Advice! Hydrotherm Wall Hung Boiler (Pics!)

Old 09-24-08, 07:17 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Advice! Hydrotherm Wall Hung Boiler (Pics!)

Hi Everyone. I'm glad to have found this forum. I also glad to see some other folks from NJ here. I live in Morris County, NJ. I have a small condo on the 2nd floor of my building. My heating and hot water are located in a small room off my deck outside as you can see in the photos below.

I currently have a Hydrotherm Celtic wall hung boiler which is direct vented through the wall to the outside. I also have a non-fired hot water tank, 30 gallons.

The units are now 20 years old. Both units are still working, but I have started to have some minor problems in the past few years.

I've been getting some quotes to replace the unit before this winter, but have been running into some problems. There don't seem to be many heating contractors that want to take on this type of job, and the quotes I'm getting are all over the map, ranging from $7k to $13k!

Other plumbers, who have looked at it, tell me that they can still get parts for it and I should not replace it until it breaks.

The last thing I want is to be without heat or hot water this winter and have to deal with replacing this thing on an emergency basis, especially since it is located outside. To make matters worse, the only way it can be accessed is by entering via my front door and walking through my living room out to the deck. The deck itself is about 30 feet off the ground.

Below are some pictures of the current boiler and the rest of the system.

I'm open to any and all comments and suggestions on how to proceed with this and recommendations for equipment and contractors.

Please feel free to post or contact me privately. Thanks in advance for looking!

Old 09-24-08, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Replacing Boiler

At 20 years old, that boiler is probably getting near the end of it's normal life expectancy. I suspect the reason you are having trouble getting quotes is the job of replacing your boiler would be no walk in the park. It's close quarters trying to work in that closet.

Old 09-25-08, 04:21 AM
X
Triangle Tube makes a nice little boiler with a built-in indirect water heater. Built in Jersey! See if you can find someone who installs these. Would make short work of the replacement.

http://www.triangletube.com/PDF/Pres...llence_Lit.pdf

Old 09-27-08, 04:37 AM
A
Thanks Xiphias. The Triangle Tube products look nice. One of the guys who came to look at my system told me a cannot use a condensing boiler because I have nowhere to release the condensate. He said if I try to simply release via a small pipe to the outside, that pipe might freeze. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Old 09-27-08, 07:37 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yeah, he's right about that... and being up in the air like that, you probably couldn't do that to code anyway ...

Is there nowhere that a piece of tubing could be run to a drain and a small condensate pump used to move the condensate to the drain ? No laundry room ? ...

Old 09-27-08, 07:59 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Doesn't take much of a tube size to drain it down. You could drain it down to a lower height in the house and neutralize it there or add a neutralizer there and then drain it. How cold does it get outside there for the most part during the winter?

Old 09-27-08, 08:22 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
2nd floor condo Who ... neighbors might not dig that ...
and probably not allowed ...

Old 09-27-08, 09:36 AM
A
Well... looking around at my neighbors decks, I can see that some of them have drained the condensate into the gutter downspout (not legal) and another has it dripping right out of a pvc pipe, but had to wrap electric heat tape around the pvc to stop it from freezing. Definately not something I'd want to do.

Let me add that I don't plan to stay here more than another five years, and I really want a cheap solution.

Some neighbors have built a shelf in the closet above the water tank, and installed a small floor standing boiler on the shelf. I'm open to that as well. So if you can suggest a small free standing boiler that might be cheaper...

NJ Trooper - If you know of anyone who might want to take on this job, please PM me!

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-14-08, 10:11 AM
A
Updated Info

Hi again. I'm the original poster of this thread and wanted to share some further info.

I've gotten a couple of quotes and the two units that seem to be within reach of my budget are the Noritz 1501 DV:

http://www.noritz.com/homeowners/pro...h_series_1501/

and also the Embassy Ambassador:

http://embassyind.com/ambassador/index.php

The Embassy has a small 4 gallon hot water tank built in, then provides on-demand hot water from there.

I'd love to hear opinions or experiences with either of these units and thoughts on the whole on-demand hot water issue.

I'm a little concerned that going without a hot water storage tank will not provide me with enough hot water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: