choosing home thermostat?

Old 10-03-08, 03:33 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
choosing home thermostat?

i aksed this question last year but havent looked into it at all much. everytime i ask a local boiler guy or sales person most people dont know much about thermostats then the settign such as time of day they go off or on.

what are the real differnces between them?

i see alot of people talk about out door resets is that part of the thermostat? what should i look for in choosing what i am to purchases? i have a 2 floor colonial with 3 zones.

Old 10-03-08, 04:08 PM
Who
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I love my cheapy Noma t-stat. It was $25 or 30 on sale and I got a $15 rebate from the gas company for it.

Old 10-04-08, 03:26 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The biggest difference between thermostats is quality and the number of programmable functions. The big names are Honeywell, White-Rogers and Robertshaw. There are a few others that I have no experience with but these are all of the highest quality in my opinion.

Most thermostats may be used with hydronic heating systems without problem. The one possible problem would be when you have three-wire zone valves such as some White-Rogers models.

Outdoor Reset is NOT a part of any room thermostat but is a system of control that changes the temperature of the circulating water in accordance with the outside air temperature. There are several different ways this is done and it is system dependent. Some systems will use a valve to vary the temperature of the water in the circulation loop while still maintaining a specified temperature in the boiler and some systems will vary the on and off temperatures of the boiler itself. Depending on several variables of the boiler, piping system and the heat loss characteristics of the house itself an outdoor reset system can save a considerable amount of fuel while increasing the comfort index of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: