Monoflow System

Old 10-04-08, 06:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Monoflow System

I purchased a house that has a hot water heating system that is not original to the home. It is appears to be a monoflow system of sorts, but, as far as my limited knowledge tells me, it appears as if there are several variations that do not seem to be conventional. I have come to this conclusion either the person that designed this system knew every trick in the book or knew enough just to be dangerous or inefficient. On a Corvette forum I use if a bad repair is done it is said it looks like Bubba did it. That is what I am trying to figure out if Bubba put this in. I must say the system works. I will comment on the downstairs for this discussion. The downstairs loop is fed with 1.25" copper pipe into conventional tees that reduce to 1" to feed and bypass the radiators. The tees are not diverter tees. Near the end of the downstairs loop he places shunts directly between the supply and return line with 3/4" then feeds 3/4" pipes to the radiators ( these radiators do not have the bypass between the input and output of the radiator). I can kind of picture his theroy but must say he did not save himself any money because he ran long lengths of 1.25"copper, which could have been avoided. My question if this system works should I attemped to make it more conventional and if I do will it make it any more efficent? The thing that bothers me is the lack of diverter tees hence is the right amount of water flowing through the radiators ? Again all radiators seem to work ok and the water pressure seems fine. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-08, 08:38 PM
Who
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's working... the piping won't affect much although monoflo systems can sometimes have small temperature drops before coming back to the boiler because they need a fair amount of flow to work. That's typically onloy a factor with using a modcon boiler. I wouldn't worry about it...

Old 10-05-08, 12:00 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you are describing...

Pictures might help, but I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to see what we need to see.

Can you draw and scan a diagram ?

set up a free account at www.photobucket.com and upload stuff there... post a link here that we may view your album.

Old 10-12-08, 06:21 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Monoflow system?

Thank you for responding. I will take some pictures and post them. Travel slows my progress on this project. The designer is trying to control the flow through the radiators without dirverter tee's. He feeds the loop with 1.25" copper uses two standard tee's one on the input side of the radiator one on the output. He reduces the pipe diameter to 1" on both output legs of the input tee, feeds the rad and bypasses the radiator with the other 1" leg. He then collects both 1" legs on the output tee and returns to 1.25" to continue on to the next radiator. At points farther into the loop he shunts what you could call the input and return 1.25" then feeds two smaller radiators with .75" pipe. I am sure at this point that this installation is not up to snuff. I have cranked the heat up a few times and checked all radiators and they seem to work fine. I do not occupy this home yet and maintain the heat to prevent freezing, so I am not sure of the overall state of this system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: