Low water cut-off question - Please help!!!

Old 10-19-08, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low water cut-off question - Please help!!!

Is it normal for the low water cutoff to not release any sediments/water? Can it ever be completely dry? In my steam boiler, I opened the low water cut off valve to clean out any sediments it might have accumulated and it looks completely dry. What could be the reason for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 08:43 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The boiler water level is below the connecting piping, the connecting piping is plugged or the drain valve/piping is totally plugged.

Old 10-30-08, 11:00 AM
The drain valve was totally plugged. I put my finger inside the pipe and I could feel the debris, I then took a screwdriver to
try and gently remove it and it seemed to have taken out the blockage. And the water (black as hell) started coming out of
that thing.
However, the water doesn't stop anymore like it used to. It keeps on flowing for the time I keep the valve open.

It never used to that before.
What do I check? Why is the water flowing non stop out of the low water cutoff. I thought it is supposed to stop when it drains itself? No?

Originally Posted by furd View Post
The boiler water level is below the connecting piping, the connecting piping is plugged or the drain valve/piping is totally plugged.

Old 11-01-08, 09:46 AM
Just wondering if someone can answer my question below about the water flowing out of the low water cutoff non-stop when the valve is opened.