Boiler making too much steam? Help please.

Old 10-20-08, 06:08 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler making too much steam? Help please.

I have a burnham 240,000 BTU steam boiler. I removed 4 radiators from the system and replaced them with hot water radiant heat. The water is drawn from the bottom of the steam boiler. The way the steam piping is set up is that it comes off the top of the boiler and branches in two directions. On one side it feeds approximately 7 or 8 steam radiators. On the other side it USED to feed 7 steam radiators...now it only feeds 3. Four radiators were removed for the radiant. On the end of each run there is an air eliminator...it rises up from the steam pipe either just before or just after the last radiator. It is on a 6" nipple. My problem is that on the side that the radiators were removed, I have a lot of steam coming out of this eliminator. So much so that it is making the beams in the basement damp. Somehow it seems to me, with the missing radiators, I am making too much steam, or I am not giving it anywhere to go....On the other side where no radiators were removed, I hear the air elimator (I think it is also sometimes referred to as a main vent) very infrequently if at all....On the side with the removed radiators it starts spitting steam right away....any help would be greatly appreciated.....thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 01:37 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
It is not a problem with the boiler but with a leaking main vent. You may be able to clean that vent but the best fix is to simply replace the leaking vent.

Old 10-20-08, 01:42 PM
J
since I have removed 50% of the heating requirement on that side, should I change the size of the vent?

Old 10-20-08, 01:58 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
No. The vent is to allow the air in the piping a quick release. If the radiators that this main line serves heat up too rapidly then change the orifice size of the radiator vents.

Old 10-21-08, 05:28 AM
J
Great, thanks for the help.