Replacing Taco 110 circulator w/Super Brute

Old 10-21-08, 06:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Taco 110 circulator w/Super Brute

First off, let me say hello to everyone. I just found the site and it looks to be full of great info. I'm replacing a Taco 110 circulator in my heating system with a Grundfos Super Brute UPS15-58FC. I have a few questions.

1) Is the Super Brute UPS15-58FC a fitting replacement for the Taco 110?

2) The Taco doesn't have a ground wire running to it. Just two wires, a white one and orange one. What should I do about a ground wire, which the Grundfos Super Brute requires?

3) I'm guessing the white wire is the hot lead and the orange is the neutral - How do I tell without shocking myself?

3) The SBUPS15 has three speed settings - how do I decide which is the proper setting?

Any help is appreciated - it's getting cold!

Old 10-21-08, 07:39 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
1. I'm hoping one of our pump heads will answer this...

2. If the system is old enough that there are no ground wires, I would recommend rewiring the whole thing so that it's up to code.

3. Now yer scarin' me ... first off, WHITE is universally accepted as NEUTRAL, but ORANGE ? I guess it could be hot... do you have a multimeter and know how to use it ?

3. (again... or is that the Piney way of writing a 4 ? ha ha ... just kidding...) Medium is probably fine. Start with that, and measure the difference in temp between the supply and return. If it's more than say 30 degrees, see if HIGH drops it some ...

but don't do anything until someone answers #1 ...

Old 10-22-08, 04:28 AM
R
Thanks for the info NJ Trooper. I did a little more investigation by following the orange wire back - it is the black. Since the system has two Taco 110 circulators (guess I should have mentioned that before) the orange appears to have been used to eaily tell the difference between the two circulators in the junction box.

So I guess the only remaining question is whether the Super Brute UPS15-58 FC is a suitable replacement.

Old 10-23-08, 04:44 AM
R
I received the following info straight from Grundfos;
For replacement of a Taco 110, I would recommend our UPS43-44FC set on speed 1, or the low speed. The 15-58 has a steeper curve, and doesn't push as much water as the Taco 110.
So that is answered

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: