Just Bought New House with Oil Furnace

Old 10-25-08, 10:14 AM
Just Bought New House with Oil Furnace

Hi there, I have just bought a new house and it has Dettson Oil Furnace that heats water. I have two zone and I have disabled the second zone which goes to tenants.

I was wondering how can I reduce the oil consumption.When Furnace is ON, it always heats water around 21C degree and nowadays I am not opening thermostat.

Can I set up 17-18C instead of 21C?
Also can you please inform that nozzle needs to be replaced with a smaller one? Before It was 2 zone but now there is only one.

All your help really appreciated.
Beer 4U2

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by xanterra View Post
Hi there, I have just bought a new house and it has Dettson Oil Furnace that heats water.
You mean you have a boiler? This boiler heat the house and the hot water for showers?

I have two zone and I have disabled the second zone which goes to tenants.
You're renting out the 2nd space out? What do they have for heat?

I was wondering how can I reduce the oil consumption.When Furnace is ON, it always heats water around 21C degree and nowadays I am not opening thermostat.
This the temp setting on the room thermostat, or this a setting on the boiler control?

Old 10-25-08, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had to look up what 21 Celcius is. That is only 70 degrees! No wonder Jay asked if that is the water setting or the thermostat setting. Very hard to understand post bearing that number in mind.

What is meant by "nowadays I'm not opening thermostat"? OPENING it?

Old 10-25-08, 06:48 PM
I had to look it up to see what the temps is, and not sure what the boiler is..and that's why I asked where this temp setting is at.

Old 10-26-08, 07:19 PM
Hi Jay11J,
I apologize if my wording not correct. As you see I am very new
I am renting the second floor and their heating system was converted to Electric basebord few weeks ago.Right now furnace only heats my floor.
Temperature I was mentioning in my previous email was the water temperature in the furnace I believe. There is an indicator shows water temperature. And furnace always keeps water temp around 21C degree which I dont want cause when weather is good, I do not want to use oil just to keep water on this temp. I was wondering may be I can setup 17C degree.

I hope it is more clear now. Please do nothesitate to aks your question if still not clear.

Old 10-26-08, 07:23 PM
Hi Ecman51,
Please see my reply to jay11j, i hope will help to reply your question.
When i said I am not opening thermostat, I meant I am not turning on my heating.

Regards

Old 10-26-08, 08:40 PM
What do you have for household hot water? Is the boiler heating this hot water, or do you have a stand alone water heater?

Can you give us the model # on your boiler, and make/brand?

Also if the control that you see the temp reading, is that "built" into the boiler or is there any marking of brand/model on that?

Old 10-27-08, 07:57 PM
I have standalone water heater for household with electric.
The brand for Oil furnace is Dettson HM-2 and temp reading is the built in indicator.
If you think it will help, I can send picture of it.
Regards,

Old 10-27-08, 08:47 PM
I am not able to find anything on this boiler.

I asked one of the guys to move this thread over to the boiler section and see if they can help out.

Old 10-28-08, 10:16 AM
Thanks. Can you please advice on below before moving to other session.
When we downgraded from 2 zone to 1 zone, should I chnage the nozzle? if i do not change it, oil consumptin will reail same?