new baseboard

Old 10-25-08, 08:12 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new baseboard

I have a gravity feed hot water boiler which I added an additional 14 feet of baseboard. I tapped into the manifold for radiators for the living room by removing the plugs already there. I used 3/4 cooper pipe with a vent value but the water does not seem to flow. Some suggested adding a small pump to that section of baseboard.

Old 10-26-08, 06:12 AM
X
The resistance to flow in the 3/4" copper is likely much higher than the gravity/radiator zones (which I'm guessing are 1.5-2" diameter pipes). Hence, no or very little flow.

You might use a very small pump or shunt. That would probably do it.

This one is self-contained and could be used in a living space. Build a little box around it and leave room for the thermostatic element to interact with the space.

http://www.roth-canada.com/caf/pdf/2...MiniShunts.pdf

Old 10-26-08, 08:00 AM
Good morning

Wow, in my 25 years as a plumbing/heating technician, I have only seen one gravity system. I did notice that all the piping was quite large as xiphias has mentioned. I feel you would eventually get heat, but the piping to that zone is probably to small to keep up with the rest of the system.
I am not an engineer, but in my opinion, you would want a very low capacity pump so you do not effect the rest of the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: