Biasi exhaust noise..revisited with a modification

Old 10-25-08, 09:34 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Biasi exhaust noise..revisited with a modification

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p...G_2484-1-1.jpg
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p...IMG_2485-1.jpg
*******Is this safe????? As I stated in an old post, My new Biasi is very loud, in the now insulated area. (double foil, faced insulation) If the same insulation is used in the jacket to insulate the boiler, which is hotter...yes? I figured that the flu pipe temperature is lower....As far as noise, I have gone from a very noticeable roaring noise to VERY quiet. I have reduced the exhaust noise by at least 90%. Again, I am concerned about safety. If the exhaust pipe area is safe, what about the exhaust going up the chimney? Is this now hotter because the piping is insulated??? Thanks, Bill

Old 10-25-08, 10:28 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Ummmm... safe ? I dunno ...

I guess as long as that stuff is NON-combustible... looks scary though, and I think any inspector dudes would freak out... and if there WAS some kind of 'mishap' and your insurance co discovered that, they could deny a claim ...

I doubt the flue temp would be appreciably higher entering the chimney, and even if it were, I doubt it would hurt anything in the chimney. Is there a liner in the chimney ? or is it masonry with flue tile liner ? Hotter stuff going up the chimney might actually help as far as condensation goes ...

Thought you were gonna try the double wall pipe ?

Old 10-25-08, 10:35 PM
B
...thanks NJ, your concern is well taken!!! It was an experiment. Worked fantastic though. But, I will rip out right now! Yeah the thicker double wall pipe is still on, if I can get the guys back out. I know they are busy! Thanks Bill

Old 10-25-08, 10:40 PM
O
The boiler is not hotter, it is the same temperature as the water inside it. The flue/chimney is much hotter from direct contact with the exhaust gasses.

Old 10-26-08, 08:46 AM
O
A check with some manufactures shows that the fibreglass is inflammable. Which is expected as it is actual glass. The outer covering and adhesives then need to be taken into consideration. Although they are on the outer surface of the fibreglass and exposed to room temperature. So the actual temperature of them will be lower then the flue.

I was not able to find an spec for insulation that is used to wrap boilers. However, I did find the spec for HVAC wrap and some high temperature wrappings. Here are the links:

http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...=291&system=81
http://www.ntlinsulation.com/fiberglass.html

Note the National Insulation product is good to 1000 deg F. So there are products available that can take flue temperatures.

If you know the manufactuer of the product you used I would google it. If they have the spec on their web site then you would know whether it is OK on a flue or not. Being used as a boiler wrap I would imagine that it is spec'd to a higher temperature then say duct wrap. But the manufactuer spec would be the way to know for sure.

Having recently upgraded to a flame retention burner I have found the same, that they are definately louder. And most of the noise is in the flue system, more of a roaring then anything else.

When I first fired it up it sounded like being out on the tarmac at JFK.

Al.

Old 10-26-08, 05:41 PM
B
Thanks Al. That is what I was looking for! I am still going to try .26 gauge double wall flue pieces first. I am curious at what the temperature of my exhaust gas is? I am under the assumption that it's around 375F. I am also under the assumption that whatever the temp, it is lower than my previous old Weil-McLain boiler was. As far as the sound, like you said, its a Roar!!! Here I am with a system that my oil installer promised would be real quiet. The boiler and burner are super quiet as advertised. But the exhaust noise.....my wife is not happy and at some point I am going to have to do something. Thanks, Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: