Little to NO HOT WATER-BUT HAVE HEAT!

Old 10-27-08, 10:41 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Little to NO HOT WATER-BUT HAVE HEAT!

HI i'm new to the board and was hoping to get advice. I'm lol

My husband and I bought our current house in August. Its electric with baseboard heating/hot water heater.58 gal.

Recently we have had little to no hot water. The only time it seems that we get hot water is when we turn the thermostats up,upstairs where our bathroom/shower is.

It seems as tho if we have the thermostats off upstairs the hot water doesnt come?

And like I said this is quite a new problem since it was fine last week and even heck at the end of august when we didnt even have the heat on we had no problem with the hot water. You could take a 30 minute HOT shower with no problem for example(we didnt tho lol)

I did look in the basement for leaks. None.

Is this normal behavior for a hot water heater in the winter?

Seems to me as tho there could be a prob, just doesnt sound right?? Any ideas on what could be going on??

Thanks
Brandy

Old 10-27-08, 11:14 AM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I think I'm confused here. Is your heat "electric baseboard" (electricity goes to the baseboard units), or do you have an electric boiler providing hot water to the baseboard units?

How is your domestic water heater tied into all this? Your water heater is 0.58 gal?
Doug

Old 10-27-08, 11:24 AM
F
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. All pretty new to me, coming from previous Oil heated homes.

We have a Electric baseboard that heats the home.. And hot water heater in the basement to heat the water. Dont they go hand in hand?? I'm not plummer/heating savvy so If my reply is little off the wall please forgive me lol. I'm just trying to figure out how my hot water was working perfectly fine, and then stopped. But when I turned the heat on, the water finally gets hot?

Coincadence? Thats what I'm trying to find out

Old 10-27-08, 05:33 PM
B
I'm just a diy'er, but I can't make a connection between the two. Sounds like a coincidence. How many times has it happened?

Old 10-27-08, 08:29 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
There should be no relationship between electric baseboard heating and the hot water heater. They should be completely independent systems.

Do you know if the hot water heater is powered by electricity ?

Go to where the tank is... is there a flue pipe on top ? or just a wire going in ... and the pipes ... ?

There might be a problem with the electical wiring ... maybe ... I'm totally guessing here ...

Did you check that all the circuit breakers were turned on ?

Old 10-28-08, 02:18 PM
F
It turned out to be 2 elements. I checked the circuit first and made sure there were no leaks at the tank. But the breaker wasn't tripped and no leaks?? The heat problem must have been a coincidence.. My husband works night shift so I figured If I could figure it out without waking him, I could have it fixed before I would have to say "oh hey no hot water tonight dear" lol

Thanks for all the help. Sorry to confuse anyone, I was confused myself lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: