Hot Water Heat Temperature Control

Old 10-27-08, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Heat Temperature Control

I have an old ARCO/Ideal heater driving a convection fed hot water/radiator system. The water temperature is manually set, but it needs to go higher when it's colder outside, and lower when I need heat but it's not so cold. Is there an automated way to do that? Generally (night time temps at 20(+/-5)F), the heater will get the system up to heat (120F) in 20-30 minutes or so, and the cast iron will dissipate it over a few hours, so the whole system runs less than an hour a day 95% of the time, but it needs to get to a higher temp (150F) when the outside temp approaches 0. Best case is it automates to a inverted scale evenly over that range.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-08, 05:31 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
When you write "convection fed" do you mean a gravity system with no circulating pump?

An outdoor reset system would automatically change the temperature setting on the boiler inverse to the outdoor temperature. One of the old dual-bulb aquastat models would be ideal for you, if you could find one.

Old 10-28-08, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
When you write "convection fed" do you mean a gravity system with no circulating pump?

An outdoor reset system would automatically change the temperature setting on the boiler inverse to the outdoor temperature. One of the old dual-bulb aquastat models would be ideal for you, if you could find one.
Yes, there is no circulation pump. Works great, no noise, no electric requirement. I'll research the dual bulb aquastat. Thanks.

Old 10-28-08, 09:50 AM
The current high water temp limit switch is a Honeywell Ambi-stat Type-L4008C Model-T4013E, which appears to be a single bulb simple high temp limit/cutoff switch which opens when the set temperature is reached. So the current control is the the themostat calls for heat, closing the circuit, initiating the furnace firing, when the water gets to the high temp limit, the circuit is opened, closing the gas valve which feeds the burner. So long as the thermostat is calling for heat, the high limit switch will cycle the burner valve open/close to keep the water hot enough. I'm not sure what the water temp cycle range is, or how to find out.