can an oil line be run on the ceiling?

Old 10-28-08, 10:39 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
can an oil line be run on the ceiling?

i have 2 outside tanks. Then the line runs about 8 ft to a 90 degree bend...then 12ft...to 90 degree bend then about 8 more feet then it enters my house to the boiler which is 2ft from that wall. I'm pretty sure the line is buried under the floor/in the floor and comes up in the boiler housing.

i may be having the home graded and a few tons of dirt up against the house...burying the cable as it stands. I dont know if that really matters? I know it's dirt so i could always dig to get to it if i need it but they would use tampers so i worry about any damage. So can i just run the oil line in the house at the closest point to the tanks and then up and over the utility room ceiling?

Old 10-29-08, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Oil Line

You can run that line almost anywhere, even across the ceiling. I do it all the time when replacing a line burried in concrete.

Old 10-30-08, 04:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
You must be concerned withthe pump vacuum. See this linkl
http://www.comfort-calc.net/Fuel_pump_vacuum.html

Old 10-31-08, 05:56 AM
L
is the pump something i have already or something that just will need to be added to get it up and over as in the diagram above? (which is almost accurate except ceiling would be about 12ft long not 30)

And id still like your opinion or just leaving it as is up against the house but under the newly tamped earth i would be getting for my regrading..i dont want to make this more complicated..but i also dont want any surprises

Old 11-01-08, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pump

The pump in question is part of your burner. Get the line inside as close to the tank as you can. Do not let them tamp over the oil line unless it is protected by running it thru rigid pipe.

Old 11-01-08, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ceiling line

Originally Posted by Grady
You can run that line almost anywhere, even across the ceiling. I do it all the time when replacing a line burried in concrete.

This is how my HW boiler is connected to my tank in the basement. The original was buried in concrete and the replacement was on the basement ceiling. I don't know why but I guess somewhere down the long time road one of the ends must have gotten a leak and they just cut and crimped the line closed on both ends and left it in the concrete. This is a single line feed.

Old 11-01-08, 04:53 PM
O
There is a couple of reasons that the line possibly was replaced. Being clogged with sludge and heading-off the possibility that the concrete eats the line are the two most common. The one here was replaced this past summer. Lots of sludge in the line, but also wanted to eliminate the possibility of it leaking. The sludge can be cleaned out, if it starts to leak it is a real issue.

Did cut a new slot in the floor to put the coated line. Although it wasn't easy and did make a lot of white dust. Thought about going over head, but didn't want to deal with losing prime and so on. Only needed a 6 foot long or so distance in the floor.

Al.

Old 11-01-08, 05:06 PM
Priming issues

Hi Oldboiler. Thanks for the info. I have had sludge with the overhead line and it took some additives and filter changes to clear it up. One thing is for sure and that is not to run out of oil so I won't have to have priming issues with the overhead. When changing the filter, it spools up fast with the oil, no problems.

Old 11-02-08, 08:37 AM
L
Originally Posted by Grady
The pump in question is part of your burner. Get the line inside as close to the tank as you can. Do not let them tamp over the oil line unless it is protected by running it thru rigid pipe.
can you think of any 'clamp on' way of putting rigid pipe on top of the oil line while it's in place? There's no way i'm going to unhook all the bends of the line should i decide to do this.

So I guess from what you are saying the riello F5 already has the pump i need?

(i keep trying to contact this oil guy i want to buy from but he never calls back, must be super busy

Old 11-03-08, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil Line

There is no easy way to add a rigid cover after the line is installed. Your Riello pump will pull the fuel from the tank IF it is piped as a two pipe pump. I detest a true two pipe system where there is a return line going back to the tank. A far better method to accomplish the same thing is a Tiger Loop.
Tigerloop

Old 11-04-08, 05:10 AM
L
Tigerloop Piping

1. i have 2 oil tanks that feed into one line on the bottom so i'm unsure how this would work

2. i see you have to go in from the top..how do you drill in full tanks without causing an explosion?

3. how much are one of the tigers?

Old 11-04-08, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Top Feed

You do not have to come off the top of the tank.

Old 11-05-08, 09:40 AM
L
ok so no issues with my setup then. thats good

so is this tigerloop in place of something that's already on the riello? or in addition to it

Old 11-05-08, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tigerloop

It is in addition to the burner.

Old 11-06-08, 05:31 PM
L
talked about the boiler tonight with the guy i'm gonna hire. (will post about boiler info in that thread)

He said it's about 140 for the tiger and about 325 total to move the supply line how i want it. He did mention 2 lines but i dont think he meant going back to the tank. Unsure now that i think about it. But said no problem running on ceiling and a lot of townships actually require it on the ceiling vs floor now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: