Where do the white and the orange wires go?

Old 10-30-08, 06:35 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where do the white and the orange wires go?

I apologize for the long story that follows, but I figured there might be some vital bit of info among the irrelevancies. If you want to cut through all the verbiage, the question is in the last sentence.

The burner on my three zone, three circulator, hydronic radiant heat setup suddenly quit last week. Suspecting the Safgard 170 series Low Water Cut-Off, I replaced that with a new one, but no joy. So, I went on to the Effikal automatic vent damper and found that, although it was opening and closing as it should, it was not signaling the burner to kick in. I then disconnected the damper completely and connected the two wires that went to the burner to the P2 and GN terminals on the LWC-O. That made the burner come on and the circulators do their thing, but the burner wouldn’t shut down, even when the temperature went up to over 220° with the Hi limit on the Honeywell H8182U Aquastat at 195°. The blower, btw, is a Beckett.

At that point I faintly remembered that 10 years ago when I rigged the vent damper, I had to rewire the burner, connecting one wire from the damper to the two blacks beneath the Aquastat (motor & ignition) and the other to the orange wire coming out of the Aquastat. Trying to get back to the original wiring configuration, I disconnected the wires that originally came from the damper (but now from the LWC-O), figuring that I was circumventing the Aquastat and feeding constant power to the blower, and connected the white coming from the Aquastat to one of the blacks from the ignition and to the white from the blower, and the orange to the two blacks (ignition and blower). That’s how I interpreted the little wiring schematic in side the Aquastat cover. However, when I flip the switch (after having pressed the reset button) the Aquastat clicks and hums, but the blower doesn’t spin. I must have the wiring wrong, but don’t dare to go on experimenting for fear of causing a bigger problem. I haven’t touched the yellow Cad Cell wires. Can anyone tell me how the orange and white wire below the Aquastat are supposed to be connected?

Thanks.

Old 10-31-08, 12:09 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Addendum

I've found a more complete wiring diagram for the R8182H Aquastat, and it would seem that I have the wiring to the burner correct as I described it in my previous post. Unless I hear something to the contrary, I'm assuming that the fault is in the Aquastat. If that is so, then my assumption that the problem lay in the vent damper was incorrect. My next step is to go through the Aquastat, cleaning the wire connections. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll get a new Aquastat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: