houldn't my boiler be runnung?

Old 10-30-08, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
houldn't my boiler be runnung?

My burner only fires and heats the water in the boiler when the thermostats call for heat. In the past I always thaought that the burner would fire whenever the water in the boiler dropped below a certain temp. We did just change the thermostats to programable thermostats, would that make a difference? Might it be the aquastat?

Smith boiler
Beckett AFG burner
Honeywell aquastat L8148A 1009

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-08, 09:52 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
If you didn't change the aquastat, then perhaps you are dreaming that it used to fire up and stay warm with no heat call. The 8148 aquastat you have on there is a HIGH limit only. There is no LOW limit control.

Unless you have a 6006 Low limit control wired to it ... is there another aquastat ? tall and skinny, but gray like the 8148 ...

If your boiler does not also supply domestic hot water to the home, there's no need to run it as a warm start.

Old 10-31-08, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the reply NJ Trooper. I did not change the aquastat, but the boiler did at one time supply domestic hot water. It had one of those seperate tanks, I think about 60 gallons on a seperate zone, but when the tank rotted through we replaced it with an electic water heater. There is another kind of tall skinny gray box on the side of the boiler. Not sure what it is, but if I recall it appears to be mounted to the sheet metal that enclosed the boiler, as apposed to clampling onto an immersion well like the 8148 does.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and report back what it is.

Either way, it sounds like it's OK then if it only runs when there's a call for heat. I wasn't sure if all that heating and cooling would be bad for the boiler.

Old 10-31-08, 04:30 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you had an 'indirect' water heater ... that would have also been run cold start, and what you were noticing was that the boiler was firing up to recover the water heater and no heat call ...

That other box may be an electrical relay ... yeah, let us know.

But, I think yer good to go ...

Old 11-02-08, 09:50 PM
Yep, that other box is an Argo Industries switching relay # AR822

So it looks like all is well, thanx for the info!