new construction heating system

Old 11-02-08, 07:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new construction heating system

I live south of Boston and am in the process of building a new home. The main house is 2900sqft with 4 bedrooms. The front of the house faces south. The house is 2x6 construction with 1/2" plywood sheething, Tyvek with Tyvek tape and wrapped and cut inside the windows. The florring is 3/4" 50yr Advantech. The house is a one level design and due to the span, I have engineered I beams so my floor and my ceiling/attick is duplicate construction. I also have a 550sqft room above my gargage. I am using 6" Icynene for my exterior walls in the house. I am also using R-13 for insulation for my intereior walls. For my floor I am using R-19 and for my ceiling I am using R-49. The garage will be insulated with R-19 including my room above....the garage will also be sheetrocked with 5/8th board. All of my doors and windows are Pella. The house is a combination of the Pro Line series and the Designer series. The majoritiy of the windows are listed as R35 and the large slider (which is the lowest rated) is R20.

My calcs for heat loss at worst case is about 100K BTU's. I plan on using a Buderas G115WS/5, a Riello burner and a Buderas LT300/2 79 gallon hot water heater. I also plan to use a combination of radiant heat (great room and kitchen) 650 sqft and baseboard for the remainder of the house and the room above the garage. I will us a Taco Zone Valve Control and Taco Valves so I can section my house into 4 independant zones. For baseboard I am specing the Multi/Pak 80 from Slant/Fin.

I would like to here thoughts on the macro plan and suggestions

Old 11-02-08, 01:02 PM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Snake Doc View Post
My calcs for heat loss at worst case is about 100K BTU's.
Double check your heat loss calcs. 100 Mbtu/hr seems a little high for all the super insulation you're installing. What are you assuming for the design outdoor temp?
Doug

Old 11-02-08, 03:21 PM
S
Heat loss calc

It is high....I am leaving head room for the large space above the main body of the house. The room is 20 x 60 and next year I'll probably insulate that roof and knee wall to make an insulated envelope then use 5/8's sheetrock. The ceiling's 8ft at a span of 12ft, then the remaining 4ft on each side slope down to a 5 ft knee wall. So I was hoping I'd be able to heat that as well.

My real loses should be around 80K BTU's....does that sound about right?

Any comment on my heating plan?

Old 11-02-08, 04:59 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Insulating a roof is tricky ... you can't just fill that space below the roof deck with insulation ... you probably already know that there must be ventilation between the underside of the roof deck, and above the top of the insulation, correct ?

Interior walls insulated too ? For sound control ? Usually not insulated...

Multi-Pak 80 is a bit higher output ... When you did your heat loss calcs, did you do a 'room by room' also ? and you know that you'll have enough output from the radiant ... etc ... and you used the room by room to spec the amount of baseboard in each room ?

Old 11-02-08, 05:39 PM
S
Heating system new home

Correct.

As for the multi/pak 80 just thought it would be good idea. i have no probelm using the standard Slant/Fin base board for the exterior walls of the house.

The raidant is only going in the great room and the ktichen.

Old 11-02-08, 05:50 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I believe the 80 is a bit heavier cabinetry also ... maybe 24 ga vs 26 or something like that ... more durable, that's a good thing.

You said you got windows with R THIRTY FIVE ? and a slider at R TWENTY ? that's gotta be a typo ... you left out the decimal ?

R 3.5 ?
R 2.0 ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: