Cost to install Boiler?

Old 11-02-08, 03:19 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost to install Boiler?

I have priced new gas boilers and because I have another unit in half the house, only need a low BTU producing unit. But what's puzzling me is that both plumbers I've brought in are adding about $3000 for parts and installation. Has anyone here had a new boiler installed and can give me a sense of what parts & installation should cost?
Question #2: can a standard floor unit be wall-mounted?
Thanks!

Old 11-02-08, 03:33 PM
S
What size/type of boiler is it?

without knowing that I can give you my advice.

Old 11-02-08, 03:47 PM
A
cost of installation?

i only need about 33,000 BTU but the smallest units out there are at least 50,000 and the manufacturers I'm considering start at about 70,000 BTU. Also, the old unit is wall hung and I'd like to do the same with the new one.

Old 11-02-08, 04:09 PM
S
Your choice

Ultimately it is your choice. I am not well versed in wall mounted units.

I would go with a Weil Mclain WGO 2 or Burnham, etc they are all pretty good these days. The WGO 2 is rated at 85KBTU's so it should be enough to do the whole house.

The probelm is your heat loss is so small that you're invariably buying more heater than you need.

In short all material to install this unit should be around $1300.00 and is probably a days work or so. I would personally have whoever does the work use the unit for the whole house...they have some misc charges for disposing of the unit/units so even if the total cost to them is $1500.00 at best you might get someone to do it for $2500.00.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-02-08, 04:23 PM
A
Snake Doc, thanks

With a unit that will invariably be too big, the cycling on and off will wear the system out. But given how small my need, that's how it goes. You confirmed my guess about the cost of installation. I'll get back to you when the job is done. Thanks!

Old 11-02-08, 04:36 PM
S
One last thougth

If your losses are 33K and we double it that's 66K so if you use a burner around 85K of output power you will be at about 78% of load. So on your efficiency cutve you would probably lose about 2 or 3 percentage points off of the manufactures rating.

If you stick to just half the house you are correct however the same ratio/proportion would apply to a unit around 40K BTUs.

My guess on a unit that size would be to dedcut around $400.00 from the overall materials and disposal price of $1300.00.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-02-08, 07:05 PM
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
The above post mentioned Weil and Burnham. Burnham has boilers that goes down in the 31k(202) and 42k(202X) just for your info.

Old 11-03-08, 07:00 AM
A
Thanks

I appreciate the advice and the recommendation. I will be back to you and give you updates so the next guy with this question can have a little more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: