Expansion tank question.

Old 11-06-08, 10:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Expansion tank question.

I have a Weil-McLain CG series 12 boiler, a Vent-Rite diaphragm expansion tank, and air release canister above that. I've been losing water in the furnace daily. I thoroughly checked the all the pipes, and even dismantled the furnace and didn't find any leaks. I finally noticed a small amount of water dripping from the air canister. I replaced that, but still losing water. I checked the air pressure in the tank, but couldn't get a reading. I tried to add air, but the air wouldn't go into the tank. I'm now thinking that my tank may be filling with the water I add to the system. Any affordable ideas I can check? Thanks!!!!

Old 11-06-08, 11:32 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you cannot get air into the expansion tank, it sounds like the internal rubber membrane is ruptured. The only solution is replacement of the expansion tank. You would see leaks around the expansion tank air valve and/or your pressure relief valve would open up when the furnace is running and dump water.

They are affordable. Depending on the size, they typically run about $50 to $100.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: