replacing WR 1311-102 valves w/Taco EBVs

Old 11-07-08, 02:34 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing WR 1311-102 valves w/Taco EBVs

Howdy folks, I've got a two-zone setup of my old hydrotherm boiler (w/hydrotherm controller). This includes WR thermostats, WR zone valves, and WR transformer. The zone valves are 40 years old and getting noisy. I noticed that one leaks a bit when the boiler is cool and you manually advance/open/close it. There's up-down play in the valve. The controller for this one doesn't alway fully close, resulting in an annoying hum because it's still on (I get it to close by tapping the controller housing). I'm thinking of replacing them now instead of waiting for the usual/inevitable. couple of questions: 1) should I just put in new WR valves? Certainly wires in the easiest. Didn't know if this locked me in to my old, old non-programmable thermostats (or only new ones from WR/if those are any good). 2) I know I could just get new WR valves, but thought the taco electronic ball valves were another option. I'm just worried that the slightly non-standard WR three-wire set up of the thermostats would make this a hassle. There was a similar thread back in July (http://forum.doityourself.com/boiler...ve-wiring.html) , but it seemed to be the opposite of my question. The EBV doc (TACO - HVAC) shows a conversion on the bottom of page 4, but I'm not sure I get it (do I actually disconnect the 5 wire from the thermostat or just let it hang on the valve end? How do you tell which wire out of the transformer is hot (L1 in their doc)?). Plus, I wanted to see what would have to happen to wire a second zone into that (right now I a jumper connecting the 1-2-3 posts of the two WR valves, with only one directly connected to the transformer). Thought I had a smaller question. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks for any info!

Old 11-07-08, 04:37 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
First... I'm pretty sure that EBV is a pricey thing ... at least compared to the Honeywell 8043 series ... or Taco 571 series ...

If you replace the W/R valves with something else, you can still use the same thermostat, just ignore the 'other' wire... or you can upgrade the t'stats at the same time ... or later ... I'm pretty sure it's the White and Red wires you would use on the old t'stats ... ignore the green ... but CHECK WITH A METER before you wire ... a lot of hands can get in the picture in 40 years... ya never know what ya got till ya get in there ...

Yes, disconnect the 5 wire ... leave it in the box for future use ... tuck it out of the way.

The L1 HOT is actually the 120VAC power going IN to the transformer. And, it basically doesn't matter which is hot ... it's AC ... but if it's got wire leads on it, one will be black and one will be white ... on 120VAC circuits, the HOT is taken to be the BLACK, and the NEUTRAL is taken to be WHITE . But CHECK TO MAKE SURE ! Don't take it for granted that it's wired properly ...

The OUT of the transformer is 24VAC ...

If you decide on a zone valve, I can point ya to a diagram ... just lemmee know which you've decided to use ...

Old 11-07-08, 06:15 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The EBV goes for much more than I expected at my local plumbing supply house (~$130), but I found it online (pexsupply) for about $70. So definitely a bit more than the Honeywell 8043 you mentioned, but not outrageous.

I think you're right about the green wire. I've been staring at the wiring diagram, walking down to the basement, staring at the wires, and so on, for a while!

So that's easy if I can attach the valves to either screw in the face of the transformer [my transformer has two screw mounts exposed, one is wired to the (red wire to T2 post on the) controller and the other the valve (I think it's the 1 post, green wire). I think my colors are bit non-standard, so I'm just guessing based on what's on either end. ]

So, It seems like, outside of cost (if my miracle internet price turns out to be phony), going with the electronic ball valve (Taco Zone Valves - Zone Valves - Taco EBV Zone Valves - Taco Valves) doesn't make trouble for me.

Thanks for the feedback (and let me know if I'm missing things)!

Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: