Piping to a lower level

Old 11-08-08, 07:46 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Piping to a lower level

I am trying to run baseboard to a level of the house lower than where the boiler is, is there anything that I need to know?

Old 11-08-08, 09:19 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
The short answer is, yes, there is.

Do you have any specific question in mind ?

Old 11-08-08, 09:26 PM
I think you might need to install either a low water level cutoff, or a low water pressure cutoff, in case of a major leak in the lower circuit. This would avoid burning out the boiler in case of no water left in it.
The pressure control would be easier to install, just install a tee on any near boiler copper return line (less heat to affect cntrl)

Old 11-09-08, 05:01 AM
Z
I am doing some work in a large home that has 2 separate boiler systems.
The main system is a 2 pipe(large), one zone, hot water system running off a 300,000 btu gas boiler.
The second system is a steam system running off a 150,000 btu oil boiler.
The area being heated by the second boiler is 5 feet lower than the area of the first area.

I did a heat loss and came up with 300,000 so I figured I would repipe the steam system, and connect it to the main system eliminating the oil boiler all together. While doing this I plan on installing a primary/secondary manifold and separating the system into 6 or 7 zones.

Here is my question. If my boiler is at a higher level than where the radiators are, is there some sort of issue with air being trapped or is there anything else I need to pay attention to?

Old 11-09-08, 06:38 AM
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Just install a purge set-up on the loop which is a manufactured valve assembly or a ball valve and tee with a boiler drain. This is normally installed on the return pipe and the ball valve should be closer to the boiler than the tee.
Why are you thinking of changing the piping to primary/secondary? If all the zones are the same temperature it look like http://www.comfort-calc.net/primary-..._tutorial.html drawing #4 not like drawing #1.

Old 11-09-08, 12:18 PM
Z
Is there some sort of sketch I can look at for that purge setup for the lower level?

Correct me if Im wrong here and its unnecessary.
The reason I will be converting to a p/s system is because 2(maybe more) of the almost 10 zones are radiant heat. Also after much research, I am seriously considering using at least 2 boilers.

Amy/all comments and or advice is very much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: