New Owner of Home with Boiler/radiant heating

Old 11-09-08, 09:45 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Owner of Home with Boiler/radiant heating

We bought a 1982 home one year ago. It has radiant heating from a boiler. Our gas bill seems really high esp since radiant heating is supposed to be efficient. My question is what am I supposed to know or do to make it more efficient? Any suggestions about info I should know or what I should do to make it efficient. We made a mistake over the summer by not turning the main handle off so that the water was heating up to the other handles before turning. We learned that was about $35/month of waste. (Obviously from my description/jargoon you can tell I don't know much about any of this but my dh is an engineer so if you have any info to pass on I am sure he can understand more than me.)
Thanks
I appreciate any info suggestions.

Old 11-10-08, 10:47 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
The efficiency of the boiler might be able to be improved by running a flue-gas analysis, and making sure there isn't too much excess air.

You can also try lowering the hot water setpoint some, which increases boiler efficiency. But don't reduce it to less than about 150 deg F to avoid condensation in the flue.
Doug

Old 11-10-08, 02:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Is the boiler original? Does it make your domestic hot water with a coil in the boiler?
Pictures are helpful. This sounds like it is not a boiler set-up error, It is either maintaining temp, over sized or a piping nightmare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: