Need chimney liner, questions...

Old 11-13-08, 04:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need chimney liner, questions...

I might need a chimney liner, or just the "top part" on top of the chimney replaced. I know its deteriorated badly as most of the top piece is gone and I have just found most of it in the bottom of my chimney vent. The house is 38 years old and as far as I know its just a brick lined chimney. Am I correct in reading about "Insulated" liners or did I just misread....? What's with all the fancy aluminum tops that you see on top of the chimney? Oh! does a new liner have any effect on my boiler operation? Thanks, Bill

Old 11-18-08, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Chimney Liner

Is the boiler gas or oil fired? It can make a difference on what type of liner. Does the chimney go up thru the house or is it exterior to the house?

Old 11-24-08, 07:14 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
.....Thanks Grady! The boiler is a new Biasi B10-4/Oil. The chimney is exterior with two bends near the bottom. The plan is to put a liner that is between 1/2" and 1" smaller than the existing opening to allow for easier installation around the two bends and then fill with cement. Also some repair work on the top of chimney. I believe the fill in with the cement, plus the slightly smaller liner is to keep the exhaust temp as high as possible, which isn't very high with this type of boiler anyway. So again, does this have any effect on the boiler operation or any additional boiler adjustment? I have the outdoor reset and even with temps as low as 18F, the boiler has yet to heat up higher than 148-150F and the house is warm!!! Thanks, Bill

Old 11-24-08, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Chimney Liner

It sounds like the contractor plans on using a cast in place liner. From what I have read they work very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: