Roth Oil Tank - Flow Control for Supply?

Old 11-14-08, 07:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roth Oil Tank - Flow Control for Supply?

I have a 40+ yr old Oil-Fired boiler with a Roth 275 Gal tank. The new Roth tank has been in service for 1 year and all has been fine until 3 weeks ago. We had no heat. Service company came and said something was loose and re-started system. Yesterday no heat again. Service company installed an Afriso Flow-Control 3/K-1. Questions:

1. What does the Flow Control do?
2. Why did I not need this a year ago when the Roth was first installed?
3. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 08:19 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
1. That unit is an oil DE-AERATOR ... which provides an air free supply of oil to the burner. TIGER LOOP is another brand of the same thing.

2. Don't know ! I could guess but would probably be wrong...

3. I don't know if you could consider it 'normal' or not ... but there are lots of deaerators being installed these days.

Does your tank have the ROTH suction line installed ? if you continue to have trouble, I would recommend that if you have that thing on your tank to get rid of it and install a bushing with copper pipe instead of that cheesy rubber hose ... I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found that hose has cracked and is leaking air. IMO, that rubber hose suction line is junk ...

Old 11-15-08, 05:51 AM
Aha! Now that's the first explanation that makes any sense whatsoever!

I assume it is the ROTH suction line and it has probably taken about a year for it to begin decomposing. So if this is the case, the de-aerator is treating the SYMPTOM not the CAUSE.

The service company told my wife that they are having to go back and install the de-aerator in 1 in 10 new tank installs.

So now I will have a conversation with the Service Co. By the way, any idea what the cost/effort would be to replace the rubber siphon with copper? Are these standard parts that most guys would have?

Thanks so much!

Neil

Old 11-15-08, 08:29 AM
NJT
First, I guess you are affirming the fact that you do have the ROTH SLA (suction line assembly) on your tank ?

There is a "bushing" available that simply replaces the SLA in the tank port. They are available with one and two drilled and tapped holes. On a single pipe system you could use either one, just plug the unused hole if you use the duplex. There is a brass compression "through type" fitting that screws into one of the tapped holes, and a piece of 3/8 copper goes straight through that fitting to about an inch or so from the bottom of the tank. The other end of that pipe would be flared, and a flare coupling used to join the pipe to the existing flare fitting on the tubing to the boiler.

It's a pretty easy job... but I'm only suggesting this as a _possible_ cause ... I can tell you that the guys who installed my tank said that they replace a bunch of them ... and the one that I pulled out of my tank last year was one year old and the rubber tube was already cracked and fatigued at the point that it connects to the metal fitting on the SLA. I hadn't yet experienced any air problems, but there has been a Tiger Loop on this installation since day one. I DO see air in the oil in the clear dome from time to time when in operation, and this is true even with the SLA removed.

How far is your tank from the burner ? (just curious...)

Did they use new tubing and fittings when they installed ?

Are they all FLARE fittings ?

Old 11-15-08, 09:36 AM
I do not know for sure whether it is a ROTH SLA, just an assumption. I am not sure if they used new tubes and fittings and I am not familiar with what flare fittings are. Can you tell from photos?

IMG_2670 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_2669 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_2665 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_2664 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_2668 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_2667 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The tank is 5.5 feet from the boiler.

Old 11-15-08, 01:12 PM
NJT
Looks all new to me ...

and NO, you do NOT have the Roth SLA on your tank ... but I'm not sure why they did like they did ... using the steel pipe instead of running copper tubing down ... unless they were building a sturdy place to mount the filter ...

Speakin' of the filter ... I wonder why they couldn't get the filter installed straight ... that's gonna be a pain to change the filter, cuz yer gonna spill when you turn it to take if off ...

I can't imagine why you would have a problem with that setup with air in the lines ... short, close, and all new ...

Old 11-15-08, 06:36 PM
The crooked filter was a side affect of the tiger loop being installed (it was straight the day before).

Can we be certain the steel pipe coming out goes all the way into the tank and is drawing the oil out?

I guess I need to find out exactly what is sticking into the tank.

Thanks for your continued guidance.

Neil

Old 11-15-08, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Crooked Filter

If the filter is that loose, that could be the source of your air leak. Otherwise, I'd bet on that "wonderful" fire o matic valve upstream of the filter.

Old 11-15-08, 06:51 PM
NJT
They might have snugged up the fittings ... maybe there was a slight air leak there ... or they thought something was loose ...

The part that the steel pipe is screwed into is that 'duplex bushing' that I mentioned earlier ... they could have another steel pipe down into the tank, or they could have transitioned to copper on the underside ... the bottom of that bushing is pretty much like the top ... it's threaded all the way through ... under that bushing is a flat rubber gasket... the black finned cap is threaded ... looks like you might have enough slack to have a peek ... but why not wait and see if it's 'all good' now ? that de-aerator might do the trick ...

OH... one thing you might wanna be aware could happen ...

The string that the float is on for the level gauge ... could get tangled with the pickup tube ... Roth installation instructions recommend the gauge at the opposite end from the pickup tube for that reason. Most installations I've seen are not according to Roth instructions, where the FILL and VENT are together on one end ... the pickup and the gauge on the other ... Roth wants the gauge and fill on one end, the pickup and vent on the other. (or was it vice versa ?) But, mine is wrong too. Just something to keep in mind that you might wanna be aware of ... if the string gets snagged on the pickup, you might THINK you still have 1/4 tank ...