Burnham 8 years old boiler, PSI getting too high

Old 11-19-08, 03:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham 8 years old boiler, PSI getting too high

I have a steam system in a two story house with basement.
My boiler is located in the basement. The boiler is not that old, it is 8 yo Burnham 175 BTU one.
The problem I have is when the heat is on, the boiler works for about 10-15 minutes then pressure jumps to 30 psi(in monometer) and above and then it shuts down.
I used to have an old L404A Pressure Limit Control (with mercury in a sealed tube.) made by Honeywell. We though that Pressure Limit Control can be a cause of the problem and replaced it with the newer model which has Micro Switch™ snap-acting switches open automatically on pressure rise and it must be manually reset.
This is the reason the boiler shuts down. It never shuts down with the old pressure control and to be honest I didn't check the pressure at all last year, its very possible it was operating on 30psi all that time.
Also the strange thing is that Safety (Relief) Valve do not blow until it reaches 30+psi.

My contractors spoke with somebody they know and nobody knows what possibly can be the cause of the high pressure.
Anybody has experienced anything like that or maybe can give me a heads up what should we check for?

Thanks for your help.

P.S Service instraction here:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...structions.pdf

Last edited by Access; 11-19-08 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-08, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The pressure relief valve should be 15 psi if it is a steam boiler not 30# relief valve. What is the gage saying?

Old 11-19-08, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
The pressure relief valve should be 15 psi if it is a steam boiler not 30# relief valve. What is the gage saying?
This is what i've heard that it should open up at 15 psi. How to set it to 15 then?
The pressure gauge has 30 psi max.

Old 11-22-08, 09:52 AM
Anybody knows some good contractors in New York, preferably Brooklyn area?
Two guys that i called in couldnít locate the source of the problem and I really need somebody to come over and take care of it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-24-08, 06:11 AM
Just wondered what the usual pressure is.I have a similar boiler,althought its only a single family house.Is there a loop of pipe between the low water shutoff? If there is,and If the system hasn't been flushed in awhile this small loop gets clogged,and the system will tend to go too high.It happened on mine and after the pipe was taken out and cleaned the system works fine again.
My system only goes to 5psi normally though,but it is a single pipe system.

Old 11-24-08, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Just wondered what the usual pressure is.I have a similar boiler,althought its only a single family house.Is there a loop of pipe between the low water shutoff? If there is,and If the system hasn't been flushed in awhile this small loop gets clogged,and the system will tend to go too high.It happened on mine and after the pipe was taken out and cleaned the system works fine again.
My system only goes to 5psi normally though,but it is a single pipe system.
Hi i also have one family house.
I can't see any loop of pipes near low water cutoff.
This is how my low water cutoff looks like:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/CIMG3532.jpg
on the left side of it is water glass gauge.
Do you have a picture of yours or boiler model # maybe i be able to view it online?

Thanks

Old 11-24-08, 09:40 AM
Ok let me look at it tonight.Yours I think is much newer.But If it does have what looks like a faucet underneath.Are you cleaning it out at least once a month?.If you do that though make sure you maintain a certain water level in that glass tube.Your may be automatic,I'm not sure.
Hey I'm no expert believe me,just thought I might be able to help,so please bear that in mind.
What we really need here and in my thread are Boiler experts !

Old 11-24-08, 04:19 PM
Plugged pigtail?

Have you checked to see if the pigtail nipple that is threaded into the bottom of the pressure control is plugged or partially plugged with gunk? To check this you will need to remove the electrical connection to the pressure control and then spin off the control. If you see a build up of gunk in the pigtail or the bottom of the pressure control flush it out with water. If there is a large amount of crap in the bottom of the pressure control you might want to replace it with a new control.

Old 11-24-08, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by lightsout06810 View Post
Have you checked to see if the pigtail nipple that is threaded into the bottom of the pressure control is plugged or partially plugged with gunk? To check this you will need to remove the electrical connection to the pressure control and then spin off the control. If you see a build up of gunk in the pigtail or the bottom of the pressure control flush it out with water. If there is a large amount of crap in the bottom of the pressure control you might want to replace it with a new control.
I replaced pressure control together with pigtail.

I start thinking maybe my boiler (175k BTU) is oversized. I have 3 bedroom 2 story house. There are tree baseboards (3ft, 5ft and 5ft) in the leaving room, and 3 more baseboards (3ft, 5ft and 5ft) in each of the rooms accordingly.
Maybe its ability to produce steam exceeds the system's ability to condense steam??

Also can it be to much fire, so it gets lots of steam in a hurry, raise the boiler pressure and short-cycle the burner off the pressure control?
I read that it may leads to water hammer (I have), uneven heating(not sure) and short-cycling (I have).

Thanks

Old 11-24-08, 06:09 PM
None of that will cause the boiler to over pressure. Could it be a bad gauge? That is not an original gauge and looks like a water gauge. Make sure the gauge is for steam.
The relief valve needs to be a 15 psi relief valve. Check your rating. If it is not a 15 psi relief valve replace it.

Old 11-24-08, 06:31 PM
None of that will cause the boiler to over pressure. Could it be a bad gauge? That is not an original gauge and looks like a water gauge. Make sure the gauge is for steam.
The relief valve needs to be a 15 psi relief valve. Check your rating. If it is not a 15 psi relief valve replace it.
It is very possible can be a bad gauge, but does the pressure control depends on the gauge at all?
I can see the thermostat is still running but boiler shuts down off the pressure control when psi reaches 30

Old 11-24-08, 06:44 PM
The boiler running has nothing to do with the gauge. My point is pressure could be two psi but gauge reads 30 psi.

Old 11-24-08, 07:54 PM
The boiler running has nothing to do with the gauge. My point is pressure could be two psi but gauge reads 30 psi.
Just double check, the gauge is Internal syphon steam gauges
Series 6000 Internal syphon steam gauges

Also Iíve notice some brown stuff floating on top inside the water gauge.

see here:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/CIMG3535.jpg