louder ignition after boiler was cleaned

Old 11-19-08, 03:27 PM
L
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
louder ignition after boiler was cleaned

2 days ago the boiler was cleaned. now when it starts, it makes a much louder 'boom'. I guess it could be cleaner ignition? I have no clue obviously. It seems to 'start up' run a few seconds then ignite. Just sounds different than before.

I thought yesterday i smelled a bit of oil but just figured it was just burnoff or something. today i dont smell it at all. He said it was cleaner than he thought and the chimney was clean etc. no problems

So would a new nozzle 'fire' differently than an old one? i hate to call for service when i all i hear is 'a different boom' lol

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-08, 03:42 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
The "nozzle" was replaced? Please ellaborate.

I suspect an over-rich air-fuel mixture.
Doug

Old 11-19-08, 04:40 PM
L
every year for cleaning they put in new nozzle and filter. Isnt it called a nozzle?

it's the thing thats 1.20 x60 or something like that.

he did take a lotta time trying to get no smoke on the pump thing he put in the stack pipe. fiddled about 4 times and said 'i can get this to burn better' and was proud to show me no dirt on the white paper.

Old 11-19-08, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This guy did not do you any favors, trust me.

If it takes more than 2 seconds for a burner to light the after ignition transformer is energized, there is something wrong with your burner. What you have now is called delayed ignition, and is probably an air adjustment problem. If he gave it a little too much air, that can cause this condition, as well, can a weak transformer, dirty electrodes, or mis-aligned electrode tips, along with others.
There also should be no bang during start-up when a burner is running properly.

This guy is either a rookie, lazy, or just plain does not know what he is doing.

Yes, changing any one of the nozzle parameters (Gallons per hour, Spray angle, Spray pattern) can cause a different flame pattern and will need different adjustments.

Old 11-20-08, 05:17 AM
L
Hmm and he seemed so good. Maybe when he told me he normally only does air and not boiler installs i should have known. Also he wasnt even on cleaning duty until he showed up at work and they put it on him..he was pissed about it for sure..

this morning i had the occasion to hear it turn on a few times. it doesnt do the boom every single time and i didnt hear it this morning at all boom. So at least it's intermittant

so is this safe to run? If all goes well i'm getting a new boiler mid december anyway and only got this old one cleaned becaues they said no refunds on my prepaid service contract/cleaning. So in case i didnt/dont get the new boiler, i wanted this clean as well.

Old 11-20-08, 05:56 AM
Good Morning

I am sure it is safe to use the heating system, but as it gets used more, you may wake up to a cold house one morning.
From the sound of things, you used a heating company, not just a self employed contractor, so you should be able to call them back and require them to come and fix the problem. You should ask for a different service technician.It sounds like the guy you had was an installer and not a service tech. and does not do many cleanings, so he would be less trained. If your state has an oil burner license, does that person carry his own? or does he work under the company license?
I am not trying to put the guy down, just show that he may not have had enough cleaning experience and was hired by his company for installation purposes.

Also, if you have a service contract with that company that declined to refund your money, use the service, that is what it is there for. But they should fix this because it is there problem to start with.

Old 11-20-08, 06:46 AM
L
yes its a company that sells/installs units plus sells oil. If it booms a lot more, i may have them come out. but only if i dont have to take off work to do it! I'm not 'paying' for their mistake. and maybe there's a reason why it wasnt adjusted to the 'perfection' this guy seemed to want to do. it booms! lol

can i assume any extra oil use as a result of this is 'negligible"

so why would i all of a sudden have no heat, as you implied?

Last edited by luckydriver; 11-20-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 07:31 AM
O
IMHO, this needs to be corrected ASAP. An oil burner should never boom on startup. Even a slight 'woof' on startup makes me nervous. It is being caused by delayed igntion of the oil/air mix.

About the worse that can happen is a puff-back. This is where the flue fills with an oil/air mix and is then lite off. The boom will shake the house, blow the doors off the boiler, and knock the flue pipe all a-kilter. Then you'll use the red off switch located at the top of the basement stairs and go change your shorts.

Al.

Old 11-20-08, 07:56 AM
I agree with Old boiler on this one.

Get it fixed As soon as possible, just to make sure there is no problems. Delayed ignition could be as simple as a boom every now and then or could stop lighting completely, filling the chamber with oil, you go down reset the button, boiler adds more oil, then all of a sudden decides to light. Then you have the big boom as Oldboiler has stated. So it is not just the thought of extra oil but the extra underwear needed also.

Ask the heating company if they could send someone on a Saturday, as it just started doing this since they cleaned it.

Also, if you do have a service contract, just call them at your convenience and tell them you have no heat. When they get there, explain you were told not to run the system until it was fixed.

Why did you wait for the possible worst months to get your boiler replaced? You can usually save some by having it installed in the summer when work is slow for the heating guys.

Old 11-20-08, 08:04 AM
L
i just went through a divorce and wouldnt have even had the money to do this if i wasnt forced to refi my house and get cash out.

also when i got the ceiling price of 5.09 i panicked of course. But didnt want to just rush and get the 1st estimate that came in to me (the 6500 a few months ago for the oversized boiler from my oil company)

the idea of spending 1150 gallons x 5.09 isnt a pleasant one and i figured payback would be pretty quick at that price. I know it's come down since then but still, cant hurt to get a new unit as i'm gonna be in the house for a very long time and the 257K unit i have just sucks up too much oil!

he's giving me a 122K one instead of the 150K the oil company wanted to sell me.

Old 11-20-08, 04:48 PM
L
back home now..sitting here i hear the tick tick of the ignitor ( i guess) then a fraction of a second later it turned on. It just has me second guessing myself that the boom is louder lol. Maybe its burning better? Or just igniting better?

now ill be setting up a tape recorder lol

Old 11-28-08, 07:04 AM
L
to complete the thread, had more boom and stink this week so today called the company and someone was here within the hour. he adjusted the mixture and took out the nozzle and adjusted it too. Said he preferred the gap a bit tighter and measured it. took multiple stack readings too and even said some older burners 'like a little soot' or something like that. I told him the other guy adjusted things until the paper was totally white.

was just here a few min and i'm hoping all is well now. Was started and stopped about 5 times and sounded great.