boiler makes loud noise

Old 11-20-08, 09:01 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler makes loud noise

when my boiler ignitesthere is a booming sound like a little explosion. Then the burners ignite. can anyone tell me what causes this and is there anything I can do to correct this problem? . Incidently the furnance is at least 30years old. Thanks for any help and good advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 03:12 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Boiler make/model ? Gas or oil ?

You said 'boiler', then you said 'furnace' ...

Is this a hot water boiler ? or a hot air furnace ?

Old 11-20-08, 03:44 PM
I agree with Trooper, More info is definitely needed !!!

Old 11-23-08, 09:21 PM
U
sorry, its a gas boiler i have hot water radiators through the house.

Old 11-23-08, 09:57 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
It's delayed ignition. Now tell us if you have a standing (constantly burning) pilot flame, a spark igniter or a hot surface igniter. Also, how long has it been since this boiler has been professionally serviced?

Old 11-24-08, 08:48 AM
U
I have a standing (constantly burning) pilot flame. had it service in april 08. thanks to all for your replies.

Old 11-24-08, 12:15 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Is this a recent development or has it always lit off with a bang? If recent, then it could be a "lazy" pilot which could be caused by a dirty pilot orifice. It could also be the "runner" between burners that transfers the flame from one burner to the next being dirty and/or corroded. If you have sheet metal "ribbon" burners instead of cast iron burners (or individual venturi burners) it could be the ribbon slots are burnt up or severely damaged. Cast iron burners could have severe rust issues. It could also be misadjusted primary air shutters on the burners.

All of the above would signify a lousy servicing.

If it has always lit off hard then it could be the nature of the beast or, as was stated in a different topic, the burner really needs a two-step gas valve.

Some pictures of the burners may help. To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.